Cowley College Board of Trustees
Highlights from the Board
of Trustees' Meetings
To read the Press Release that summarizes a Board of Trustees' Meeting, click the meeting headline.
Academic Year 2006-2007
July 17, 2007
Board approves plan to construct new dormitory
- approved plans for construction of a new dormitory.
- elected the following officers for the upcoming year: Chairman, Ron Godsey; vice chairman, Donna Avery; Kansas Association of Community Colleges Trustees voting delegate, Donna Avery; Association of Community College Trustees voting delegate, Ron Godsey; Board representative for professional negotiations, Albert Bacastow Jr.; trustee designated as the Board representative to the College Endowment Association, LaDonna Lanning; and Mark Paton was named trustee designated to open bids received for college purchases.
Palmer was appointed to serve as Clerk of the Board, while Tony Crouch
was appointed as Treasurer of the Board. David Andreas was appointed
to serve as Attorney for the Board
Cowley President Dr. Patrick J. McAtee provided a letter on the Pratt Community College response to the KBOR to the Dodge City funding issue.
- Dr. McAtee presented the Board with the new organizational structure of Cowley College.
- approved Home National Bank and the Union State Bank as official depositories.
Board extends McAtee's contract an additional year
- Cowley College president Dr. Pat McAtee had his existing contract extended an additional year, bringing the total to three years.
- Approved the Credit by Examination or Evaluation policy.
- Recognized the Cowley athletic department for recently placing second in the Pepsi/NATYCAA awards.
- accepted the resignation of Kenneth Spurgeon as director of Humanities.
May 15, 2007
Board hears about text message alert system
- Charles McKown, dean of research and technology, provided information on a text message alert system that will be implemented in the summer.
- discussed the need to come up with a succession plan for the North Central Accreditation Team.
- approved compensation for sponsorships of college activities.
- Kansas Board of Regents approved new degree and certificate programs for Mechatronics and Interior Design.
- the program revisions for Office Technology were approved, so Cowley now has a certificate in Medical Coding, Medical Transcription, Legal Office Assistant and Administrative Office Management.
April 17, 2007
Board approves two new policies
- approved the Attendance and Classwork policy along with the Academic Code of Conduct policy.
- heard from director of theatre Scott MacLaughlin, who recognized technical director of theatre Jamison Rhoads and Cowley sophomore Brittany Richerson for awards they received from the Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival.
- Vice president of student and academic affairs Sheree Utash informed the board of the four awards the college received at the 22nd Annual Admissions Advertising Awards.
- Dr. McAtee acknowledged the accomplishments of the three faculty members at Cowley’s Aviation Tech Center that received FAA Diamond Awards.
- Steve Eck was named the new head men’s basketball coach at Cowley College.
- approved the Work Comp Return to Work, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, and Accepting of Gifts by Employees policies.
- approved a $2 increase in tuition and a $1 increase in fees for all students.
January 17, 2007
Board approves two new policies
- approved the Immunization policy along with the At-Will Employment policy.
- Ron Godsey, Lee Gregg, Jr., and Mark Paton filed for re-election for Board of Trustees.
- approved the Audit Contract for the annual audit of the accounts and records of Cowley College for the year ending June 30, 2007.
December 11, 2006
Board approves to renew lease at Southside Education Center
approved the decision to renew the lease agreement
for the Southside Education Center in Wichita through August of 2008
Dr. Patrick J. McAtee acknowledged that the school’s current partnership agreement with Wichita State University at the Southside Education Center will not be renewed as of August of 2007.
November 21, 2006
Board approves policies at annual meeting
- approved the Vacation-Classified Personnel policy along with the Admission policy.
- congratulated the volleyball team on its third place finish at the NJCAA Division II National Championships.
- commended the cast and crew of “Les Miserables”, School Edition, for the wonderful performance of the musical.
October 24, 2006
Board approves agreement to provide MICT training at Butler
- Cowley College will provide MICT training at Butler Community College’s Andover campus.
September 19, 2006
Long time instructor to retire at end of semester
- having worked at Cowley College since 1975 and served as the school’s registrar for the past 18 years, Forest Smith submitted a letter of retirement, effective January 1, 2007.
- heard from members of the Board that attended the KACCT/COP Annual meeting held September 8-9 at the Airport Hilton in Wichita. The Board provided a copy of “A Statewide Assessment of Deferred Maintenance Needs” for the KACCT.
August 15, 2006
Board approves 2006-07 operating budgets
- approved the operating budget for 2006-07. Revenues are based on in-state enrollments of 100,930 credit hours, a state operating grant of $8,184,059 and a county valuation of $212,265,903. The projected mill levy of 18.425 is equal to the final 2005-06 levy.
- approved the decision to be included in the Deferred Maintenance project.
- appointed Ron Godsey and Mark Paton to represent the college on the U.S.D. 470/Cowley College athletic committee.
- approved the Grant-in-Aid Tuition Reimbursement for Full-time Classified Staff; approved the Flexible Benefit Plan 2006-07.