August 21, 2014
Cowley’s Golden Tigers to hold fall enrollment Aug. 26
The Cowley College Golden Tigers, a popular program for men and women age 50 and over, will hold its fall enrollment from 1-4 p.m. Tuesday, August 26 in the Earle N. Wright Community Room inside the Brown Center on the main campus in Arkansas City.
There is a $5 registration fee per person for the semester, and a $2 fee per class. Some classes have additional costs or supplies needed.
Persons attending fall enrollment are reminded to bring their mailing labels to use on the enrollment form and sign-up sheets. This saves writing their name multiple times and speeds up the enrollment process.
Three educational trips are planned throughout the fall. The trips include Norman, OK, Topeka, and Benton, KS.
The Golden Tigers have planned a trip to Hawaii in 2015. This trip features a 7- night cruise on the NCL Pride of America ship.
The group will depart on Friday, October 2, 2015 and spend the first night in Honolulu. Participants will have the opportunity to tour Pearl Harbor, the Arizona Memorial, National Cemetery of the Pacific and other sites before boarding the cruise ship, which will make stops in Maui, Hilo, Kona and Kauai to explore the beauty of the Hawaiian Islands.
There is something for everyone – tropical flowers, volcanoes, black sand beaches and more. Pick up a brochure at enrollment for complete details.
Last fall the Golden Tigers visited the Lowell-Milken Center in Fort Scott, KS. The group learned about three girls from Uniontown High School that did research on Irena Sendler, an unsung hero from Poland. Irena was a social worker during WWII and helped 2,500 Jewish children get out of Poland during the war. They wrote a play about her amazing story.
The play “Life in a Jar” will be presented at Cowley College on Thursday, October 16 at the Robert Brown Theatre. Golden Tigers can purchase tickets for the show for $5 each.
Persons wanting more information about the Golden Tigers program should contact Margaret Neal, Institute Coordinator, at (620) 441-5286 from 8:30 a.m. to noon Monday through Thursday, or by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fall 2014 schedule:
- Exercise, Session I, Tuesdays and Thursdays, Sept. 9, 11, 16, 18, 23, 25, 30, 1:30-2:30 p.m., Ben Cleveland Wellness Center.
- Aqua Fun, Session I, Mondays and Wednesdays, Sept. 3, 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 17, 19, 22, 24, 26, 29, 10-11 a.m., Family Aquatics Center, Ark City High School.
- Creative Cards, Tuesdays, Sept. 9, 16, 23, 1:30-3:30 p.m. Webb-Brown Academic Center, Room 207.
- Mah-Jongg Players, Wednesdays, Sept. 3, 10, 17, 24, Oct. 1, 8, 15, 22, 29, Nov. 5, 12, 19, 1-4 p.m., Webb-Brown Academic Center, Room 203.
- Computer Skills for Today, Wednesdays, Sept. 10, 17, Oct. 1, 8, 15, 1:30-3:30 p.m., Webb-Brown Academic Center, Room 105.
- Walking, Tuesdays, Sept. 30, Oct. 7, 14, 21, 9:30-10:30 a.m. Veteran’s Lake.
- Decorated Denim Shirt, Thursdays, Sept. 18, 9:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m., Ark City Senior Center.
- Taking Control of Health & Wealth, Wednesdays, Sept. 10, 17, 24, Oct. 1, 8, 2-3:30 p.m., Webb-Brown Academic Center, Room 205.
- Understanding & Using New Devices, Mondays, Sept. 8, 15, 22, 29, 1:30-3:30 p.m., Webb-Brown Academic Center, Room 207.
- Exercise, Session II, Tuesdays and Thursdays, Oct. 2, 7, 9, 14, 16, 21, 28, 30, 1:30-2:30 p.m., Ben Cleveland Wellness Center.
- Aqua Fun, Session II, Mondays and Wednesdays, Oct. 1, 3, 6, 8, 10, 13, 15, 17, 20, 22, 27, 29, 31, 10-11 a.m., Family Aquatics Center, Ark City High School.
- Woodcarving, Tuesdays, Oct. 7, 14, 21, 28, 1-3 p.m., Cherokee Strip Museum.
- Exploding Quilt Blocks, Mondays, Oct. 13, 20, 9:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m., Arkansas City Senior Center.
- Grow Your Skills in Photography, Thursdays, Oct. 2, 9, 16, 30, Nov. 6, 1:30-3 p.m., Webb-Brown Academic Center, Room 103.
- Internet Basics, Wednesdays, Oct. 22, 29, 1:30-3:30 p.m., Webb-Brown Academic Center, Room 105.
- This & That, Tuesdays, Nov. 4, 11, 18, 25, 3-4 p.m., Webb-Brown Academic Center, Room 204.
- Beyond the Basics, Wednesdays, Nov. 5, 12, 19,1:30-3:30 p.m., Webb-Brown Academic Center, Room 105.
- Exercise, Session III, Tuesdays and Thursdays, Nov. 4, 6, 11, 13, 18, 20, 25, 1:30-2:30 p.m., Ben Cleveland Wellness Center.
- Aqua Fun, Session III, Mondays and Wednesdays, Nov. 3, 5, 7, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 21, 24, 10-11 a.m., Family Aquatics Center, Ark City High School.
- Sharing Foods & Recipes, Mondays, Nov. 3, 10, 17, 24, 1:30-3:30 p.m., Webb-Brown Academic Center, Room 207.
- TGIF (Thank Goodness It’s Finished), Monday, Nov. 24, 9:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m., Ark City Senior Center.
- Norman, OK, Thursday, Sept. 25, to the Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History and the National Weather Center. The Museum of Natural History has outstanding dinosaur exhibits as well as displays of natural wonders, the people of Oklahoma and gallery of world cultures. Another stop on the OU campus is the National Weather Center. Participants will have a guided tour of the facility and have a chance to learn more about meteorology. Individuals must bring a driver’s license or other form of identification to go through the facility. Depart at 7:30 a.m. and return by 8 p.m. Cost - $50 (includes lunch).
- Topeka, KS, Tuesday, Oct. 28, the tour starts at Cedar Crest where the group will tour the Governor’s Home. Participants will then head to downtown Topeka to see the Capitol Building. It has taken 13 long years and $300 million to renovate the Capitol. The group will have a tour of the building as well as a dome tour for those wishing to climb 296 steps to the top. (The dome tour is optional.) Be sure to wear comfortable shoes. Plan to leave at 7 a.m. and return by 8:30 p.m. Cost - $50 (includes lunch).
- Benton, KS, Thursday, December 11, the last trip of the semester will be to the Prairie Rose for a fun evening. After enjoying a delicious BBQ supper featuring smoked brisket and sausage, the group will have a great evening of music. Kim Coslett and the Patsy Cline Tribute Band will present a Patsy Cline Christmas. This will be a great evening of food, friendship and music. Depart at 4:30 p.m. and return around 10:30 p.m. Cost - $50 (includes dinner).
Go to Golden Tigers for more information.