Biro/Davitaia qualify for ITA Small College Nationals
Winning the doubles portion of the 2011 USTA/ITA Central Regional Championships
played Friday through Sunday in Oklahoma City, OK, Cowley College sophomores
Zsofia Biro and Diana Davitaia qualified to compete at the USTA/ITA
National Small College Championships in Mobile, AL.
Biro and Davitaia went 3-0 on the weekend and rallied from a 4-6 loss
of the first set in the finals against Seminole State’s Chloe Murphy
and Taylor Spradlin. After the loss of the first set, Biro and Davitaia
regrouped to dominate the next two sets by scores of 6-2, 6-0.
“Zsofia and Diana made adjustments in the second set and their level
of play really increased,” Cowley head coach Josh Cobble said.
The talented doubles tandem should benefit from the opportunity to play
at the National Small College Championships in Mobile, AL, Oct. 13-16.
“It will be a great opportunity for them to see the top junior college
teams in the country and be able to compete against teams they would not necessarily
see,” Cobble said. “It will be good for them to get national level
competition early in the year.”
Davitaia nearly qualified in singles as well before losing to Chloe Murphy
4-6, 7-5, 3-6 in the finals.
On the men’s side, Cowley sophomores Nei Dos Santos and Zack Evenden
won their first two matches and advanced to the finals before losing
to Seminole State’s Oliver Andersen and Admire Mushonga 5-7, 4-6.
With six region winners making up the eight doubles teams at the Small
College Championships, Dos Santos and Evenden still have a chance at
qualifying for the national tournament as a wild card selection. The
announcement of the two wild card entries will not be made until later
Cobble also saw good things from sophomores Conner Tebow and Kristin
Richardson at the tournament.
“I saw some of the best tennis most of our players have played since
they have been here,” Cobble said. “The level of competition seemed
to make them step up their play.”
Prior to the Small College Championships, the Tiger tennis teams will
play at Drury University in Springfield, MO Sunday at 1 p.m.
- Biro/Davitaia (CC) defeated Shannon Beckett/Jean Ochs (Johnson County)
6-1, 6-4; defeated Ashley Coleman/Trevine Sellier (Seminole) 6-0, 6-2;
defeated Chloe Murphy/Taylor Spradlin (Seminole) 4-6, 6-2, 6-0 in the
- Lexie Maytubby/Mariah Vargas (CC) defeated Dariya Dashutina/Sandri
Munoz (Seward) 2-6, 6-4, 10-6; lost to Murphy/Spradlin (Seminole) 1-6,
- Ariana Raga/Kristin Richardson (CC) lost to Murphy/Spradlin (Seminole)
- Davitaia (CC) defeated Richardson (CC) 6-1, 6-1; defeated Dashutina
(Seward) 6-2, 4-6, 7-5; lost to Murphy (Seminole) 4-6, 7-5, 3-6.
- Richardson (CC) defeated Salitza Abrantes (Seward) 6-1, 6-2; lost
to Davitaia (CC) 1-6, 1-6.
- Raga (CC) defeated Sellier (Seminole) 6-2, 6-4; lost to Dashutina
(Seward) 1-6, 0-6.
- Maytubby (CC) lost to Shannon Beckett (Johnson County) 1-6, 0-6.
- Biro (CC) defeated Ashley Coleman (Seminole) 6-0, 6-1; lost to Murphy
(Seminole) 6-7, 0-6.
- John Ward/Josh Golding (CC) lost to Lucas Izkovitz/Justin Pena (Seward)
- Dos Santos/Evenden (CC) defeated Daniel De Zamacona/Maksim Fil (Johnson
County) 6-3, 7-5; defeated Riccardo Bassani/Cristiano Mendes (Seward)
6-1, 6-2; lost to Anderson/Mushonga (Seminole) 5-7, 4-6.
- Evenden (CC) defeated Felipe Cruz (Seward) 6-2, 6-1; defeated Fil
(Johnson County) 6-1, 6-0; lost to Anderson (Seminole) 5-7, 6-7.
- Golding (CC) lost to Fil (Johnson County) 6-3, 6-7, 4-6.
- Tebow (CC) lost to Edgar Vitkovski (Seminole) 3-6, 6-7.
- Ward (CC) lost to Bassani (Seward) 1-6, 4-6.