Tiger track and field teams open outdoor season with a bang
With temperatures hovering around 80 degrees, the Cowley College men
and women’s track and field teams opened the outdoor season by
competing at the Southwestern College Invite Thursday in Winfield.
The Tiger men were led by Darryl Brown and Charles Ross breaking school
records in the 200 and 400-meter dash, respectively. Brown finished first
with a national qualifying time of 20.71 in the 200-meter dash, while
Ross won the 400-meter dash with a national qualifying time of 47.56.
Cowley head coach Mark Phillips was impressed with the performances
of Brown and Ross considering they were running into a stiff breeze.
“To run that good of times in that wind was incredible,” Phillips
Ross also ran as part of the 4x400-meter relay team that qualified for
nationals, and Brown ran a leg on the 4x100-meter relay team that hit
the national qualifying mark.
Fred Taylor also had an impressive meet and qualified for nationals
in the 100-meter dash, 200-meter dash, and as part of the 4x100-meter
relay. While, Cody Rosson, Josh Phillips, and Rick Valcin finished first
through third in the pole vault and each qualified for nationals.
Sophomore Shane Lundquist was the Tigers’ other national qualifier
as he placed third in the discus (156-3).
“I was very pleased with our start and think we are headed in
the right direction for the outdoor season,” Phillips said.
Sophomore Jessalyn Lanoy’s second place finish in the 1,500-meter
run highlighted the Lady Tigers’ performances. Lanoy qualified
for nationals by running 4:56.76 in the event.
“Jessalyn has turned into Miss consistency for us,” Phillips
said. “We are excited with where she is at.”
The Lady Tiger athletes had a good day in the field events as freshmen
Morgan Brant (high jump), Kira Vega (javelin), and Niki Andrews (pole
vault) each qualified for nationals in their respective events.
“I was impressed with those performances,” Phillips said.
The Tiger track and field teams will return to action on Saturday, March
31 when they host the Tiger Invite. Field events will begin at noon and
track events will start at 2 p.m.
“We always like to compete at home and have people come out and
see our athletes compete,” Phillips said. “We will hope for
good weather and more eye-popping performances.”
- 100-meter dash — Fred Taylor, 10.40, first, national qualifier.
- 200-meter dash — Darryl Brown, 20.71, first, national qualifier,
school record; Fred Taylor, 21.26, second, national qualifier; A.J.
Singh, 21.91, fifth; Rick Valcin, 22.23, eighth; Dane Steil, 22.56,
- 400-meter dash — Charles Ross, 47.56, first, national qualifier,
school record; Singh, 48.91, second; Willie Bromell, 50.77, eighth;
Lance Gray, 51.26, 11th; Khori Jones, 51.31, 13th.
- 1,500-meter run – Jack Taylor, 4:03.44, first, national qualifier.
- 110-meter hurdles — Bryan Jasmin, 15.03, second; Rodgerick
Woods, 15.83, seventh.
- 400-meter hurdles — Patrick Bodie, 55.22, first; Woods, 55.31,
second; Jasmin, 1:07.98, 23rd.
- 4x100-meter relay — Cowley “A” (Steil, Singh, Taylor,
Brown), 41.08, first, national qualifier; Cowley “B”, 43.09,
- 4x400-meter relay — Cowley “A” (Ross, Singh, Gray,
Woods), 3:17.10, third; Cowley “B”, 3:31.88, 10th.
- High jump — Bromell, 6-3 ¼, sixth.
- Pole vault — Cody Rosson, 15-5, first, national qualifier; Josh
Phillips, 15-5, second, national qualifier; Rick Valcin, 15-5, third,
national qualifier; Tony Branscum, 13-5 ¼, 11th.
- Long jump — Aaron McPherson, 18-11 ¼, 20th; Coleman
Long, 16-8, 25th.
- Triple jump — McPherson, 41-9 ¾, 13th; Long, 36-1 ¼,
- Shot put — Shane Lundquist, 45-7 ¼, 10th.
- Discus — Lundquist, 156-3, third, national qualifier; Fabien
Murray, 136-9, 16th.
- *Hammer — Murray, 130-6, 15th; Lundquist, 110-5, 20th.
- Javelin — Andrew Harris, 145-10, 11th; AJ May, 127-10, 16th.
- 100-meter dash — Earriel Willis, 12.62, seventh.
- 200-meter dash — Willis, 26.12, 11th.
- 800-meter run — Maricarmen Visoso, 2:29.63, fifth; Kelly Roberts,
2:31.89, 10th; Valerie Nielson, 2:34.45, 11th.
- 1,500-meter run — Jessalyn Lanoy, 4:56.76, second, national
qualifier; Konnie Zuniga, 5:11.86, eighth; Katie Krepel, 5:18.76, 13th;
Lindsay Johnson, 5:20.22, 14th; Julia Stafford, 5:21.27, 15th; Kaitlyn
Dispensa, 5:34.96, 20th.
- 100-meter hurdles — Taylor Kean, 16.88, ninth.
- 4x400-meter relay — Cowley ‘A”, 4:18.12, seventh.
- High jump — Morgan Brant, 5-3, sixth, national qualifier;
Niki Andrews, 5-1, seventh.
- Pole vault — Andrews, 10-6, fifth, national qualifier; Kadie
Peoples, 10-0, seventh; Caroline Strickland, 9-0 ¼, 12th.
- Long jump — Kean, 15-5, 12th.
- Triple jump — Kean, 33-10 ¼, seventh.
- Discus — Kira Vega, 118-8, 15th.
- Hammer throw — Vega, 117-6, 12th; Lacy Tipton, 115-10, 13th.
- Javelin — Vega, 124-8, fourth, national qualifier.