Cowley College Online
Welcome to online classes at Cowley College. We’re glad that you’re here. It is our goal to make your experience in taking an online class at Cowley a positive one.
We would like to share some important information with you to help you get started.
When can you start your class?
Access to the online classes is granted about 12:01 a.m. on the first scheduled day of class. Please check your schedule in Campus Connect for the specific day that your online class starts.
When should you take the mandatory online student orientation?
If you are new to Blackboard, Cowley students are required to complete the Blackboard Orientation course before having access to online, web enhanced and hybrid courses in Blackboard. Shortly after you enroll in your classes at Cowley College, you are encouraged to go ahead and take the Blackboard Orientation course—no need to wait until the semester has started.
The Blackboard Orientation is designed for quick completion—usually in less than an hour.
If you need a refresher course, students can review the Blackboard Orientation course at any time.
Are online classes self-paced?
Cowley College Online classes are not self-paced. You will need to be diligent in meeting scheduled dates for projects and assessments that must be completed duopyring specific time periods throughout the semester.
What can you do prior to the start of the class?
- Be sure that you have regular access to a computer with internet connections.
- Read all of the information accessed through the links on the left side of this page. You may want to print some of this to keep for future reference.
- Prepare your computer to take an online class. Click on the link Computer Preparation and follow the procedures and information there.
- Check for special software requirements and Access Codes for all online classes. This information is included in the Class Schedules. Unless specifically noted, all course written work must be submitted in Microsoft Word 2000 or newer (not Works). No other programs for word processing will be accepted!
- Complete the online orientation course on Blackboard.
Where can I obtain books, software,
and Access Codes (if required) for the online course?
Books, software, and Access Codes (if the course requires them) may be purchased online through the Cowley College bookstore at www.cowleycollegebooks.com. You can also stop by the Cowley College Bookstore on the Arkansas City Campus or or the Wichita Downtown Center in Wichita KS. Please visit the bookstore website for specific details.
Will attendance be taken in
my online course?
Cowley instructors will be recording your attendance weekly to your online course. To be counted present in your course, you must log in and complete your instructor’s attendance requirements for the week. The week for attendance runs from 12:00 A.M. Sunday morning through 11:59 P.M. Saturday night. Please check the individual course syllabus carefully for requirements or check with your instructor. If these requirements are not satisfied, you will be counted absent for the week.
How do I get help if I run into trouble?
Use the Cowley Help Desk whenever possible. From there you can access the Blackboard Help Desk with enhanced support 24/7/365. You can contact by live-chat, submitting a trouble ticket, calling 866.940.0063, emailing, or searching an extensive knowledge base where you can find solutions to common questions.