118.00 GUIDELINES FOR CLASSIFIED STAFF REDUCTION IN FORCE (RIF)
Selection for RIF
A RIF requires an evaluation of the need for particular positions and relative value of work performed by specific employees so that the College can continue to provide the highest level of service possible with a reduced work force. Cowley determines priority for a RIF within the following guidelines:
1. The work area and/or department where the reduction is to take place will be designated by the Administration after consultation with supervisory personnel in the work area/or department.
2. In the work area and/or department where the reduction is to take place, consideration will be given to classified employee(s) who expresses a desire to voluntarily resign.
3. Temporary or part-time classified employees performing the same work assigned to full-time regular classified employees in the work area and/or department where the reduction is to take place will be terminated before involuntary termination of any full-time regular classified employee in the designated work area and/or department, provided that regular full-time classified employee(s) has demonstrated the ability to perform the duties assigned to the temporary employee.
4. Then the RIF of full-time regular classified employees will be based on the following factors:
5. The College is committed to the administration of this policy so not to discriminate on the basis of race, gender, color, age, sexual orientation, religion, physical disability, or veteran (including Vietnam era) status.