Policies & Procedures
118.00 GUIDELINES FOR CLASSIFIED STAFF REDUCTION IN FORCE (RIF)
A RIF occurs when changing priorities, budgetary constraints, or other conditions require Cowley College to reduce staff, eliminate positions, or eliminate programs. A RIF can also occur when the needs of the College change so significantly that the employee in the position no longer has the demonstrated capability, competence, and/or appropriate experience to perform the required essential functions/duties of the changed position.
Selection for RIF
A RIF requires an evaluation of the need for particular positions and relative value of work performed by specific employees so that the College can continue to provide the highest level of service possible with a reduced work force. Cowley determines priority for a RIF within the following guidelines:
1. The work area and/or department where the reduction is to take place will be designated by the Administration after consultation with supervisory personnel in the work area/or department.
2. In the work area and/or department where the reduction is to take place, consideration will be given to classified employee(s) who expresses a desire to voluntarily resign.
3. Temporary or part-time classified employees performing the same work assigned to full-time regular classified employees in the work area and/or department where the reduction is to take place will be terminated before involuntary termination of any full-time regular classified employee in the designated work area and/or department, provided that regular full-time classified employee(s) has demonstrated the ability to perform the duties assigned to the temporary employee.
4. Then the RIF of full-time regular classified employees will be based on the following factors:
a. The position(s) most vital to the work area and/or department in the delivery of services will be retained as long as possible;
b. Full-time classified regular employees with the most demonstrated skills, knowledge, and productivity as to the position(s) being retained (the attached Skills List will be used by supervisor(s) to make this evaluation) will be considered for the retained position(s); and
c. If two or more full-time classified employees are evaluated as having substantially equal demonstrated skills, knowledge, and productivity as to the position(s) being retained, then the full-time classified regular employee with the greatest length of employment with the College as a classified employee will be retained.
5. The College is committed to the administration of this policy so not to discriminate on the basis of race, gender, color, age, sexual orientation, religion, physical disability, or veteran (including Vietnam era) status.