Policies & Procedures
It is the policy of Cowley County Community College to employ and retain the best qualified people available without bias.
- Efforts will be made when filling a vacant position to avoid hiring immediate family members within the same department. No employee or trustee shall participate in or influence the recruiting, hiring, evaluation, promotion, discipline, transfer, tenure, or salary of a member of his/her immediate family, and that person shall not participate in or be present when any group or body considers such decisions.
- No employee shall be hired for a position when a member of his/her immediate family is employed by the College at an administrative level of Director and above.
- If two employees become related during their employment at the College and such relationship violates paragraph 1 of this policy, one of the employees should be reassigned. The College will make every effort to accommodate this reassignment, but if that is not reasonably possible, one employee must end employment at the College.
- The College will not employ anyone who is an immediate family member of a member of the Board of Trustees.
- Because of the dependence on part-time faculty for delivery of instructional programs, they are excluded from paragraphs 2 and 4 of this policy. Part-time or seasonal staff are also excluded from this policy. Any other exceptions to this policy will require written approval from the president and the Board of Trustees, which approval shall not be exercised in a discriminatory fashion and shall be based entirely on the immediate needs, requirements and availability of help dictated by the circumstances at the time.
- In addition, paragraph 2 of this policy shall not apply to any person who has been regularly employed (full-time) by the College or prior to the adoption of this policy. Paragraph 4 shall not apply to any Board of Trustee/immediate family member conflict in existence at the time of adoption of this policy.
- If any relationship contrary to this policy exists at the time of adoption, the relationship shall be disclosed in writing to the responsible administrator by the supervisor, to be accompanied by a written management plan. The management plan should include, at a minimum, a description of an alternative reporting structure for the supervised employee’s appointment or hiring, retention, evaluation, promotion, discipline, transfer, tenure and salary. The management plan must be signed by the employee, the supervisor, and the alternate supervisor and must be approved by the president. If the relationship is ongoing, an annual disclosure and management plan shall be required.
- For purposes of this policy, immediate family shall mean the spouse, child, parent, father-in-law, mother-in-law, step-parent, step-child, grandparent, grandchild, sister, brother, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, sister/brother-in-law, son/daughter-in-law.