Policies & Procedures
207.00 SELECTION, ADOPTION AND ORDERING OF TEXTBOOKS
Selection of textbooks shall be made after careful evaluation of the instructional value of the text. Changes in textbooks shall be recommended to the Vice President of Academic Affairs based on content, adoption date, copyright date, present inventory, and availability of the books from the publisher.
- Notice to change or delete a textbook is to be made in advance. The selection of a new textbook is to be made a minimum of 60 days in advance of the order date. All requests are to be submitted to the Vice President of Academic Affairs on the approved textbook request form available in the academic affairs office.
- Textbooks must be adopted for minimum use of three years, or the textbook publisher's rotation, or if any text is out of print, or if current text proves unacceptable.
- Along with instructional materials and presentations, adaptability to various methods of delivery such as online instruction and media materials are to be considered in the evaluation process.
- Any associated software or technical material that is changed must be sent to the computer services office upon adoption.
- Reading level of the recommended textbook is to be identified and is to be within the reading level of the students using the textbook.
- In order to ensure textbooks recommended for adoption meet the requirements established, all full-time instructors who will be using the text and the Department Chairperson will review texts being considered for adoption. Input is also sought from adjunct/part-time instructors who have taught the course for more than two semesters. The final recommendation will be submitted by a consensus of the full-time instructors and Department Chairperson.
- Any change in the adoption process must be approved by the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
- All courses listed in the current catalog should be reviewed each spring semester for the upcoming fall semester, regardless of what the class rotation is at a particular campus.
- Textbook adoption deadlines are as follows: February 28 for the Summer semester, March 15 for the Fall semester, and October 15th for the Jan Term and Spring semesters.
- If a textbook package (textbook, study guide, cd-rom, online pass code, etc.) is adopted for a course, the instructor should inform the bookstore whether all pieces are required for the course.
- The textbook ordering dates are as follows: April 15 for the Summer semester, July 1 for the Fall semester, and November 15 for the Jan Term and Spring semesters.