Policies & Procedures
242.00 APPOINTMENT OF DEPARTMENT CHAIRPERSON
The duties of the Department Chairperson shall be assigned to a full-time employee in each department by the President in consultation with the department faculty and the Vice President of Academic Affairs. Such appointments shall continue for as long as there is evidence of satisfactory performance, based upon regular evaluations by the department faculty, the Department Chairperson, and the President's Council.
- The Department Chairperson shall be evaluated in accordance with the regular institutional evaluation policy 246.00.
- The evaluation form shall be based upon the job description of the Department Chairperson and shall contain spaces for each evaluator to recommend one of the following: Reappointment, Conduct an Election, or Administrative Action.
- An election to nominate a new Department Chairperson shall be conducted whenever it is requested by either: a majority of the departmental faculty members, the Department Chairperson, or the Administration.
- Whenever it is determined that an election should be conducted, each faculty member and the Vice President of Academic Affairs shall have an opportunity to submit nominations or applications for the position of Chairperson to the President, using forms available in the President's Office.
- In the event that there are two or more nominations/applications acceptable to the President, an election shall be conducted by the departmental faculty on forms provided by the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
- The ballots will be tabulated by the Vice President of Academic Affairs, who shall submit the names of the final nominees, in ranked order, to the President.
- The President, in consultation with the Vice President of Academic Affairs, shall announce the appointment.
- The Department Chairperson assignments will be incorporated in the personnel recommendations submitted to the Board of Trustees.
- Newly appointed Department Chairpersons shall participate in the budgeting process for the ensuing year, and shall be the representative of the department in the final budget review.