The duties of the Department Chairperson shall be assigned
to a full-time employee in each department by the President in consultation
with the department faculty and the Vice President of Academic
Affairs. Such appointments shall continue for as long as there is evidence
of satisfactory performance, based upon regular evaluations by the department
faculty, the Department Chairperson, and the President's Council.
- The Department Chairperson shall be evaluated in accordance with the regular institutional evaluation policy 246.00.
- The evaluation form shall be based upon the job description of the Department Chairperson and shall contain spaces for each evaluator to recommend one of the following: Reappointment, Conduct an Election, or Administrative Action.
- An election to nominate a new Department Chairperson shall be conducted whenever it is requested by either: a majority of the departmental faculty members, the Department Chairperson, or the Administration.
- Whenever it is determined that an election should be
conducted, each faculty member and the Vice President of Academic
Affairs shall have an opportunity to submit nominations or applications
for the position of Chairperson to the President, using forms available
in the President's Office.
- In the event that there are two or more nominations/applications
acceptable to the President, an election shall be conducted by the
departmental faculty on forms provided by the Vice President of Academic
- The ballots will be tabulated by the Vice President
of Academic Affairs, who shall submit the names of the final
nominees, in ranked order, to the President.
- The President, in consultation with the Vice President
of Academic Affairs, shall announce the appointment.
- The Department Chairperson assignments will be incorporated in the personnel recommendations submitted to the Board of Trustees.
- Newly appointed Department Chairpersons shall participate in the budgeting process for the ensuing year, and shall be the representative of the department in the final budget review.
Adopted February 20, 1978
Revised July 20, 1981
Reviewed July 11, 1989
Revised July 21, 2003
Revised August 9, 2004
Revised August 9, 2005
Revised July 21, 2008