February 10, 2016
Arkansas City, Kansas
Alpha Sigma Chi organization and the Natural Science department at Cowley College
in Arkansas City are hosting an exciting event.
Members of the Natural
Science department and the sponsors are holding a scholastic competition
in the math and science areas for all high school students.
Area schools are invited to bring
interested students and teachers for the competition.
The format of the competition
will consist of the construction of scientific apparatus testing the
skills of the creators (in teams of two) and a scholastic competition
for those knowledgeable in the scientific fields. Students are welcome
to compete in either or both of the competitions. Competitions
have included the following:
- Write It Build It Competition - a team member
will view a constructed object and write a description of how to
build it. The description will be given to a second team member who
will attempt to build it from the written description. Write
It Build It Rules PDF.
- Cowley Propeller Car Contest -
students will design, build and race a battery powered propeller car capable of traveling a 20 meter parallel track in the shortest amount of time. Propeller Car Contest Rules PDF.
- Puzzlefest Competition – students will be given 30 minutes to complete a geometrically shaped math puzzle by solving algebraic problems as quickly as possible. Puzzlefest Rules PDF
- Chemistry competition - students will perform
a chemical analysis of selected materials. CSI
Rules PDF .
- Students as Teachers Videos – It’s your turn to be the teacher! Students submit their own videos in which they present a brief lesson on a topic of their choosing (in the Math and Science realm of course.) Students as Teachers Rules PDF.
- The Scholastic competition will
consist of a preliminary examination in all science and math areas.
The top scoring student in each discipline will then compete in a
verbal quiz. The verbal format will be a single elimination discipline
bee. When the last two competitors are standing, the answer must
be determined by one of the competitors to eliminate the other.
The categories for this years scholastic competition include: algebra;
geometry; chemistry; biological science; physics
and physical science. The scientific apparatus portion of the event
will be specified as the date approaches.
are excited to offer this competition again and would welcome participation
from more students. If you or your students are interested in competing
for prizes in scientific areas, please consider joining this
Select a registration form to register.
Thank you for your participation
Martin Shaffer and Steven Cooper
Math & Science Club Advisors
620-441-5329 or 620-441-5215
firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com