Activities & Clubs
"The Purpose of Phi Theta Kappa shall be to recognize and encourage scholarship among two-year college students. To achieve this purpose, Phi Theta Kappa shall provide opportunity for the development of leadership nd service, for an intellectual climate for exchange of ideas and ideals, for lively fellowship for scholars, and for stimulation of interest in continuing academic excellence."
Chapter By-Laws Revisions
Member. In addition to meeting membership eligibility requirements as stated in Article IV and Chapter 1 of the Phi Theta Kappa Constitution and Bylaws,* each candidate for membership must have completed 12 hours of associate degree course work, (none of which is developmental course work) with a Grade Point Average of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale, and adhere to the school conduct code which includes no outstanding financial obligations to the college, in addition to demonstrating recognized qualities of citizenship. Grades for courses completed at other institutions will not be considered when determining membership eligibility. A cumulative Grade Point Average of 3.35 must be maintained to remain in good standing. Failure to maintain the required cumulative Grade Point Average will result in the member being removed from good standing as stated in the Phi Theta Kappa Constitution and Bylaws,* Chapter 1, Section 3. Failure to meet good standing requirements as stated in the Phi Theta Kappa Constitution and Bylaws* will cause membership and all membership privileges to be revoked.
This is a nationally recognized honor society which emphasizes leadership and service. Students must be selected for this group by invitation only.
PTK Cowley College Foundation Scholarship
Fill out the application for a Cowley College Foundation Scholarship to pay for membership dues and submit it to Deborah Layton via email or by bringing it to the Humanities office BC125. The fall deadline for submission is October 1st and the spring deadline is March 1st each year. The recipients will receive notification by the end of those months.
News & Events:
Go to PTK News & Events to view photos and news bits about activities and events.
Go to Archives to view past years' news.
Ark City Campus
Chapter President –Samantha Twenhafel
Vice President of Scholarship – Hannah Twenhafel
Vice President of Leadership –Joseph White
Vice President of Fellowship and Communication –Arnoldo Ruiz
Vice President of Service –Sam McClaflin
Co-President –Taylor Swarts
Vice President Mulvane –Tabitha Slater
Deborah Layton: Humanities Instructor, Arkansas City, email: Deborah.Layton@cowley.edu, phone: 620.441.5325
Scott Layton: Science Instructor, Arkansas City, email: firstname.lastname@example.org , phone: 620.441.5331
Arkansas City Campus
Chapter Meetings in Ark City will be the second Monday of each month at 6:30 pm in BC137.
To be announced
- September 14 – Chapter meeting, 6pm BC137
- September 18-19- Leadership Conference (Wichita) - Registration is $40 by Aug 31st.
- September 19-20- Hallmark Award Writing (Wichita) - Registration is $10 by Aug 31st.
- Cowley College Foundation Scholarship for PTK Membership Dues – October 1st in the fall and March 1st in the spring
- October 2- All Kansas Academic Team first round Application due by 11:59 pm
- October 12 – Chapter meeting, 6pm BC137
- November 2 – Wreath order deadline (Money to Mrs. Layton) by NOON.
- November 6-8- Honors in Action Conference (Topeka) - Registration is $125 by noon Oct. 9.
- November 9—Chapter meeting, 6pm BC137
- December 4-6- St. Jude Team TENN-KAN Trip (Memphis, TN) - Registration is $275 by Nov. 9. (space in limited though, so it would be best to register by the end of Sept)
- December chapter meeting/holiday party TBA
- Individual Hallmark Awards due January 12 at noon.
- Honors in Action & College Project Write up for hallmarks due by 5pm on January 25th
- February 28 - Induction Ceremony, Wright Room 3pm
- March 4-6- Regional Conference (Manhattan) - Registration is $125 by Feb 9.
- March 31 – Silent Auction and Benefit Dinner fundraiser
- April 6 – 10 – National Convention, National Harbor, MD/Washington D. C. Cost TBA