Brown Center History

Buildings

Brown Center

In 1922 classes were taught on the top floor of the senior high school, where the Brown Center is today. In 1924 classes were moved to the first floor, or basement as it was referred to at that time. The term “BU” or “Basement University” often was used by many of the first students.

The Brown Center was partially completed in 1994 and fully dedicated in 1995. It is named after the late Robert A. Brown and Roger A. Brown families of Arkansas City and Home National Bank. They were the lead donors to the building fund.

The Brown Center’s upper/main level consists of the Brown Theatre (dressing rooms, green rooms, backstage shop and office areas), the Wright Room, Vocal and Instrumental Music Departments, and two IDL classrooms. The Lower Level houses the Humanities Department, Social Science Department, and seven classrooms.

[Back to History Table of Contents]