History

Buildings

Nelson Student Center and Recreation Center

Nelson Student Center and Recreation CenterThe Nelson Student Center at Cowley College houses the Tiger Deli, the Jungle/Game Room, the Student Life offices, Student Life Counselor, Housing offices, Activity Director, Health Services, and The Underground.

In 1976, the Nelson Student Center and the Recreation Center were new buildings on the campus. Dr. Gwendel A. Nelson became the college’s second president on July 1, 1968. He served in this role until 1987.

Nelson was described as a "possibility thinker" who got college officials involved in long-range campus planning.

He is remembered as a very personable president, one who would jot encouraging notes to students and employees on small pieces of orange paper, ending them with “Great Work Tigers!” He is also remembered as a man who took great pride in his community and the way it looked.

In 2003, construction on the Game Center and Tiger Deli in the Nelson Student Center was completed. Fall 2003 also brought us the new Underground at Courtright Station. Henrietta Courtright was a respected math instructor on the staff of Arkansas City Junior College from 1936 until she retired in 1969.

 

[Back to History Table of Contents]