Academic Information

Graduation and Degree Requirements

Requirements | Associate Degree Information | Transfer and Articulation Agreement | FAQ


It is the student's responsibility to see that graduation requirements are met.

Students must complete a written application to graduate and file it in the Registrar's Office by the following dates:

  • October 1 for fall degree completion
  • March 1 for spring degree completion
  • July 1 for summer degree completion

Students must be a high school or GED graduate to qualify for an associate degree.

Cowley College awards the Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, Associate of General Studies, Associate of Applied Science degrees and the College Certificate.

Those receiving the associate degree are expected to demonstrate the ability to communicate both orally and in writing, possess knowledge of mathematics and the physical world, and be aware of past and present cultures.

More information about applying for Graduation

Associate Degrees

Cowley College offers a wide variety of courses specifically designed for transfer. This enables students to complete their first two years of coursework leading toward a bachelor’s degree in virtually any field of study at a four-year college or university. The keys to a successful transfer are to start planning immediately and to select your coursework carefully. Cowley College academic advisors are available to help students develop an educational plan.

In order to qualify for either the degree or certificate at Cowley College, a student must complete a minimum of fifteen (15) credit hours at Cowley College, which counts toward the degree or certificate. Developmental courses cannot be used to fulfill degree requirements.

The Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degrees as listed may not meet the requirement of the Transfer and Articulation Agreement.

Students who plan to complete an associate's degree and transfer as a junior in their major should achieve the following goals:

  1. Complete the Associate in Arts (AA) or Associate in Science (AS) degree.
  2. The general education requirements and graduation requirements for these degrees are described in this section.
  3. Fulfill the lower-division (freshman/sophomore-level courses) general education requirements of the institution you plan to attend.
  4. Every four-year college or university has different general education requirements. Transfer guides summarizing these requirements for the colleges and universities popular with Cowley College students are available on the Cowley College Web site.. For other schools, students should consult the catalog and/or contact the intended transfer institution for additional information. In most cases, if you select your general education coursework carefully, you can simultaneously satisfy the general education requirements for both Cowley College and the transfer institution.
  5. Fulfill the lower-division requirements in your major field of study.
  6. You should familiarize yourself with the criteria for admission into the specific program major at the college where you plan to transfer. In many cases, specific lower-division coursework is required. Ask for transfer guides for specific majors and/or consult the catalog of your transfer school.
  7. When you are ready to transfer, obtain a Request for Transcript form from the Registrar or Admissions offices.
  8. Complete the form, requesting that a transcript of your Cowley College coursework be sent to your transfer school. Be certain to verify that your transfer institution has received the transcript. If you experience difficulty in transferring any of your courses, contact the Registrar.

Generally, when a college official intercedes on behalf of the student, he or she is able to facilitate the resolution of transfer problems. Students need to work with their advisor to ensure proper transfer of credit to private and public four-year colleges and universities located out of state.

Associate in Arts Degree (AA)

This degree is designed to specifically meet the student's educational objectives and needs through the completion of the general education distribution requirement. The courses are equivalent to lower-division courses offered at Kansas Regent's universities.

Associate in Science Degree (AS)

This degree is designed to prepare students for transfer with advanced standing to 4-year colleges or universities. These programs are for students who plan to major in a science related discipline.

Associate of General Studies (AGS)

This degree is designed to provide students with the opportunity to develop knowledge, skills, attitudes, and greater philosophical appreciation for lifelong learning.

Associate of Applied Science (AAS)

This degree is designed to prepare students for entry into an occupation or closely related cluster of occupations. The objective of the AAS degree is to enhance employment opportunities.

General Education Core Curriculum

The general education core curriculum constitutes that part of an undergraduate education that develops breadth of knowledge and the expressive skills essential to more complex and in-depth learning throughout life. To develop breadth of knowledge, general education courses acquaint students with the methods of inquiry of the various academic disciplines and the different ways these disciplines view the world. The academic disciplines comprising the general education curriculum are the physical and life sciences, the humanities and fine arts, the social and behavioral sciences, and interdisciplinary combinations of these.

To develop expressive skills, the general education curriculum requires courses that enhance written and oral communication and quantitative reasoning skills. The foundation skills of communication (reading, writing, speaking, and listening), critical thinking and analysis/synthesis, quantification, and the use of resources (including technology and the library) are to be embedded in every general education course.

Transfer & Articulation Agreements

A transfer and articulation agreement exists between Kansas community colleges and the regents universities in the state. A student should complete the following requirements in order to ensure transfer to a regent university in the state of Kansas.

A minimum of forty-five (45) credit hours of general education with distribution in the following fields will be required. General education hours totaling less than forty-five (45) credit hours will be accepted, but transfer students must complete the remainder of the requirements before graduation from the receiving institution.

Basic Skills

Twelve (12) credit hours:

  • English Composition I and II — 6 hours
  • Public Speaking — 3 hours
  • College Algebra or higher level — 3 hours


Twelve (12) credit hours from at least three of the following departments:

  • Art*
  • History
  • Literature
  • Modern Languages
  • Music*
  • Philosophy
  • Theatre*

*Studio and performance courses are excluded.

Social and Behavioral Science

Twelve (12) credit hours from at least three of the following departments:

  • Anthropology
  • Economics
  • Geography
  • Political Science
  • Psychology
  • Sociology

Natural and Physical Science

Nine (9) credit hours from at least two departments:

  • Biology
  • Chemistry
  • Geology
  • Physical Science