Future Students

Pell Grants for High School Students

  • Fast Track

    The US Department of Education’s offering of Pell Grant funds to dually enrolled high school students is a pilot program and Cowley College is one of forty-four schools nationally selected for this opportunity. It is not open to all students and specific requirements exist in order for students to be eligible. The following questions will help you to determine your eligibility.

  • Pell Grants for high school students

    Video: How to Fill Out the FAFSA


Do I attend one of the eligible partner high schools?

The following high schools are the only ones available for their students to receive
Pell Grants while in high school:

  • Argonia High School: Argonia, KS
  • Arkansas City High School: Arkansas City, KS
  • Belle Plaine High School: Belle Plaine, KS
  • Caldwell High School: Caldwell, KS
  • Cedar Vale High School: Cedar Vale, KS
  • Central High School: Burden, KS
  • Conway Springs High School: Conway Springs, KS
  • Dexter High School: Dexter, KS
  • Mulvane High School: Mulvane, KS
  • Oxford High School: Oxford, KS
  • South Haven High School: South Haven, KS
  • Udall High School: Udall, KS
  • Wellington High School: Wellington, KS
  • Winfield High School: Winfield, KS


Do I meet dual enrollment (concurrent) requirements?

Qualifications for this program are:

  • Be a high school sophomore, junior, or senior, or a “gifted” 9th grade student.
  • Hold a minimum high school cumulative G.P.A. of 2.75 on a four-point scale.
  • Meet minimum reading assessment guidelines. (ACT reading score of 18 or equivalent proficiency on COMPASS assessment instrument.)
  • Meet additional assessment requirements for Math & English courses. (21 Math ACT and 20 English ACT)
  • Complete a high school permission form and obtain the high school principal’s signature on the appropriate line granting permission to enroll in college courses.

Career & Technical Education/Vocational programs follow a different set of admission guidelines.


Am I eligible for a Pell Grant?

The Pell Grant is a federal program designed to provide financial assistance to those who need it to attend post-secondary educational institutions. The amount of the Pell Grant is determined on the basis of the resources of the student, as well as that of the student’s family. The Pell Grant does not require repayment.

You will be eligible for a grant if you meet several criteria:

  • You are a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • You are registered with Selective Service (if required)
  • You are attending a participating college
  • You are working toward a degree or certificate
  • You are making satisfactory academic progress
  • You do not owe a refund on a federal grant or you are not in default on a federal education loan, AND
  • You have financial need, as determined by the results of your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)


How do I apply for a Pell Grant?

The following steps must be completed to determine your eligibility status:

  • Apply for Admission to Cowley College www.cowley.edu/apply
    * Students must declare a major. Undeclared majors are not eligible for aid.
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). COWLEY COLLEGE TITLE IV CODE: 001902
    Pell Grant form snippet
    **This question must be answered none of the above if have not completed high school before you start classes.
  • Sign and return your Award Letter. Be sure to Accept or Decline all offered aid.

If Selected for Verification:

  • Provide an IRS Tax Return Transcript to the Financial Aid Office. This can be ordered online at www.irs.gov or file a correction to your FAFSA and choose IRS Data Retrieval.
  • Provide documentation of any untaxed income to the Financial Aid Office. (i.e. child support received or paid out, workers comp. etc.)
  • Sign and return your award letter. Be sure to Accept or Decline all offered aid.

** Students should check the status of their financial aid files on their Campus Connect account.


How do I get started?

The College must receive the following for each student before enrolling in courses:

  • Completed, online admissions application  
  • Complete high school permission form and obtain the high school principal’s signature on the appropriate line granting permission to enroll in college courses
  • An official copy of current High School transcript reflecting GPA or confirmation of GPA from High School counselor on the high school permission form
  • A copy of qualifying ACT test scores or completion of a Cowley assessment
  • Full payment of tuition and fees for students that have not been awarded a Pell Grant



Important Notifications
  • Cowley College is participating in an experimental program authorized by the Department that permits it to provide Pell Grant funds to students who are enrolled in secondary school;
  • That the Pell Grant funds that each student receives while enrolled in secondary school will apply toward the student's Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU)
  • The possibility that a student could be responsible for the payment of institutional charges if he or she withdraws if the institution's tuition refund policies do not provide for a full refund of the student's tuition; and
  • Restrictions on the transferability of the credits that secondary students may receive under the institution's dual enrollment arrangement, if the institution has information about such restrictions.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Standards for Recipients of Federal Aid Recipients

Verification Policy for Financial Aid

Return of Financial Aid Funds Policy

Student Right to Know


For more information, please contact the Financial Aid office by calling 620.441.5304 or by email at highschoolpell@cowley.edu.