Health & Human Services

Emergency Medical Services


EMS Scholarships


We will assist you with finding financial aid, scholarships, grants and loans. We firmly believe that students should have the opportunity to find funds which will help them complete the program. In the past, our MICT students have had great success in acquiring funds to help defray the costs of this education.


Here are some of the methods which should help MICT applicants or students secure schooling funds:


image College Financial Aid Department
Complete the Online application for scholarships in the Health & Human Services Department


For information from the college about grants, loans, scholarships or work-study opportunities, contact the college financial aid department. Their job is to assist all students in acquiring the maximum financial help and will answer all student questions.


It is important to know that federal financial aid is for one school year (fall through the next summer semester). As such, the MICT student must complete new forms during the spring to obtain federal aid for the fall.


MICT Scholarships from Health & Human Services Department
Colleges have many different divisions and departments. At Cowley, all EMS classes are in the EMS Division, which is a part of the Health & Human Services Department. Our department has a number of scholarships for students who take classes from this department. These scholarships pay only tuition. To be considered eligible, students/applicants must be full time students, be Kansas residents, and have a 3.25 GPA. Once awarded, students can continue to receive the scholarship if a 3.25 GPA is maintained (along with the previously mentioned requirements). Scholarships are only awarded for the spring and fall semesters. For information on how to apply, contact the program director for details. Students who are selected to enter the MICT program will automatically receive the scholarship criteria and scholarship forms.


Max Cannon MICT Scholarship
This scholarship honors Max Cannon, grandfather of Cowley instructor Chris Cannon. It shall be used primarily for MICT students from the rural areas of Cowley County. For information on how to apply, contact the program director for details.


Roy R. Danks, DO Scholarship
This scholarship was established by Dr. Danks who is the Associate Medical Advisor of EMS education at Cowley College. It shall be used primarily for MICT students who need financial assistance during their education and training. For information on how to apply, contact the program director for details.


imageSlade Griffiths MICT Endowed Scholarship
This endowed scholarship was established by the MICT class of 2001 and alumni. This will provide some funds to MICT students who need additional assistance and was especially designed for those who had to quit their jobs to attend MICT education and training. Because it was established in 2002, funds will be initially limited to $250 per student. For information on how to apply, contact the program director for details.


Dale Wasson MICT Scholarship
This scholarship honors Dale Wasson, former Winfield Area EMS Director, Kansas Board of EMS member, and Chair of the Cowley College MICT Program Advisory Committee. Dale was instrumental in starting and guiding the Cowley MICT Program. This scholarship shall be used primarily for MICT students from Cowley County. For information on how to apply, contact the program director for details.


William Newton Hospital
This hospital offers two scholarships: the Healthcare Field Scholarship and the Jean Thornton Memorial Nursing Healthcare Scholarship. Applicants must be accepted as full-time students studying healthcare with 12 or more hours per semester and have at least a 3.0 GPA. Scholarship awards are $300 per semester for a maximum of four semesters. Deadline is April 1. For more information, contact the Director of Volunteers at the hospital.


WIA Program and Tuition Assistance
The Workforce Alliance of South Central Kansas provides training and services to residents of Butler, Cowley, Harper, Kingman, Sedgwick and Sumner Counties. This is accomplished by a partnership of employment and training provider agencies working together to better serve businesses and individuals in South Central Kansas. Workforce investment programs are designed to help you get a job, finish your education, obtain a degree or skilled profession and upgrade your wage potential, regardless of barriers that you may have to overcome.


image The Workforce Investment Act (WIA) Program is a federally funded program that can assist customers to attend school in a demand occupational field, in an educational program that can be completed in two years or less. It also has to be with a school that is on our provider list.


The WIA Program is split into two separate programs: The Adult and Dislocated Worker. The Dislocated Worker Program is designed for customers who are laid off from employment due to reduction of workforce or plant closure or simply may be a Homemaker who has been dependent on the income of another family member but is no longer supported by income and is unemployed or underemployed. The Adult Worker Program is designed for customers who may or may not be employed. They might be an applicant who meets low income guidelines, single wage earner not making a self sufficient wage, past employment in a declining industry, has physical limitations, needs basic skills to gain employment, shows a financial need for assistance with training, or needs to get recertified to upgrade skills to obtain employment.


Participants interested in receiving assistance from the WIA Program should contact Tammy Brown at least 4 weeks prior to starting classes. Upon approval, an applicant could be eligible to receive up to $8,000 in assistance. This assistance can cover tuition, books, uniforms, tools, etc. Supportive Services may also be available such as mileage reimbursement from home to school each day and daycare expenses as well.


Health Care (all medical related positions) and Law Enforcement/Firefighters are occupations that currently are in demand per the South Central Kansas Workforce Alliance.


image If you are interested in WIA assistance, please contact:

Wichita Workforce Center
150 N. Main, Suite 100
Wichita , KS 67202
Phone: (316) 771-6800
Fax: (316) 771-6890

Web Information on Scholarships
There is a vast amount of information on grants and scholarships on the web. Simply do a search and you'll be surprised on how much money is available to students. If you need any assistance with your search, contact the program director.