Crain named Cowley College
Student of the Year
Courtney Crain, a sophomore communications major from Arkansas City, was named Cowley College’s Student of the Year during the school’s annual Honors and Awards Ceremony held April 15 in the Brown Center’s Earle N. Wright Community Room.
A true leader on campus, Crain is the Assistant Editor of the Cowley Press, the President for Tyger Tawk, the Vice President of Fellowship in Phi Theta Kappa and a Student Ambassador. She is also involved in Campus Christian Fellowship, Journalism club, Math and Science club and Act One. She also serves as a work study for the Humanities Department, is a member of the Concert Choir and was a finalist for Queen Alalah.
“I am really busy and seem to have no down time, but this makes it worth it,” Crain said.
She was recognized several times during the awards ceremony for her contributions to the college.
“These past two years have been incredible,” Crain said. “Cowley is an amazing school, they have prepared me well.”
A representative from each department at Cowley College honored students that have excelled during the 2007-08 academic year during the ceremony.
“This is a way for us to honor our students that have set goals and met them,” Cowley president Dr. Patrick J. McAtee said. “We also want to recognize our faculty and staff that helped them meet those goals.”
- Academic Excellence Challenge — Aaron Gill, Richard Gould,
Brad Ingram, Elizabeth Smith.
- Student Ambassadors — Katie Bevilacqua, Rachele Bloyer, Mallory
Carroll, Courtney Crain, Ryan Frick, Tiffany Glenn, Jackie Ebert, Tori
Kill, Emilie Magnus, Jolene Pierson, Kacie Schlegel, Bethany Schmidt,
Kayla Strickland, Jancye Sturd, Elisha Swope.
- Resident Assistants — Katie Bevilacqua, Abby Cantrell, Sarah
Davidson, Joel DeNicolo, Natasa Draganic, Larry Hill, Joe Lauer, Dakota
Price, Danielle Saylor-Perkins, David Starnes, Meghan Wiebe.
- Student Government Association — Katie Bevilacqua, Will Brantley,
Jolene Pierson, Shawn Ming, Abby Cantrell, Cassie Powell.
- Student Activities ABCD Awards — Annie Blackwell, Kayla Compton,
Ashlie L’Homme, Sasha Oliver, Elizabeth Smith, Katie Ward, DaNae
Williams, John Windle.
- Academic Civic Engagement through Service — Molly
Cox, Nicole Hills.
- Derek Burroughs Award — Abby Cantrell.
- Tutor Award — Ashley Cochran.
- Act One Drama Club — Brandon Cheney, Kaitlyn Kearns.
- Association of Non-Traditional Students — Tiffany Kiolbasa.
- Art and Design Club — Alexie Smith, Jillian Tatum.
- Black Student Union — Justin Viewins.
- Campus Christian Fellowship — Lindsey Binford, Jackie Ebert.
- Chess Club — Justin Douglas, Zachary Reece.
- College Republicans —Lynlea Bartlett, Jessica Peterson.
- Creative Claws — Nicole Hills, Travis Truax.
- Film Club — Lacey Bauman, Thomas Govert.
- Instrumental Music — Tiffany Wright.
- Journalism Club — Courtney Crain, Josh Patton, Alexander Skov.
- Math & Science Club — Dawn Zimmerman, Tori Kill.
- Math & Science Club (SSEC) — Titus DeGraaf, Terryanne Nguyen.
- Multicultural Scholars Program — Robert L. Young, Jr.
- Peers Advocating Wellness for Students — Samantha Curl, Jackie
- Phi Beta Lambda — Mallory Carroll, Charley Stettler.
- Phi Theta Kappa — Sasha Oliver, Jancye Sturd, Jillian Tatum.
- Phi Theta Kappa (SSEC) — Tara Cunningham, Keoki Waipa.
- All USA-Kansas Community College Academic Team — Keisha Brooks,
Lisa Burns, Jackie Ebert, Elisha Swope.
- Students Honoring All Different Ethnicities — Charisse Archer,
- Tyger Tawk — Courtney Crain, Kelli Von Cannon.
- Vocal Music — Sarah Richardson.
- Allied Health Department — Ryan Kilby.
- Business, Computer and Information Technology Department — Kayla
- Career and Technical Education Department — Jeff Gage.
- Humanities Department — Courtney Crain.
- Natural Science Department — Dawn Zimmerman.
- Social Science Department — Blythe Colquhoun.