Candidates in the contested state races speak at Cowley
Members of the CC Young Democrats and the Cowley College Republicans hosted a Candidate Forum with area state representatives Oct. 30 in the Earle N. Wright Community Room located on the Arkansas City campus.
Each candidate had one minute to give an introduction, and then answer two student driven questions. Audience members then submitted questions on index cards that were screened and given to the moderators to present. Each candidate had 90 seconds to respond to each question.
Cowley College sophomore Emily Crain gave the welcome address, while Chris Loftin and Missy Patterson served as moderators.
“The students did a great job of handling the forum,” said Marvis Gaddie, secretary in the Business/ Computer and Information Technology Department and co-sponsor of the CC Young Democrats.
Frank Arnold, Social Science Department instructor, serves as a co-sponsor of the CC Young Democrats. Charlee Wilson, Cowley College coordinator of tutoring, serves as the sponsor of the Cowley College Republicans.
Candidates in attendance were:
- Kansas House of Representatives, District 78 — Ed Trimmer, Democrat; John Whittington, Republican.
- Kansas House of Representatives, District 79 — Gene Burr, Democrat; Kasha Kelley, Republican.
- Kansas Senate, District 32 — Steve E. Abrams, Republican.
- County Commission, District 2 — Gary H. Wilson, Democrat; Bob Voegele, Republican.
- County Commission, District 3 — Carmelita Clarkson, Democrat; Alan Groom, Republican.