12th annual Cowley Duck Dash a success
Helping support the Cowley College Endowment Association, close to 400 people attended the 12th annual Great Cowley Duck Dash held May 16 at Cowley College’s McAtee Dining Center.
The event featured a duck race and duck squat. All totaled, the Great Cowley Duck Dash has raised almost $180,000 for student scholarships over the past 12 years.
The event, which was planned to be held at Spring Hill Farms in Winfield, had to be moved to the Cowley College campus due to the excessive amount of rain that fell at the farm during the week.
“Although the weather did not cooperate prior to the Duck Dash, it was absolutely beautiful weather Saturday evening,” said Shannon Massey, director of Alumni and Endowment. “The McAtee Dining Center and the Tony Buffo Plaza are a great backup when we are not able to be at Spring Hill Farms.”
The ducks were raced on Thursday and the video of the races were shown during dinner on Saturday. Cowley College president Dr. Patrick J. McAtee entertained the crowd as the emcee for the races.
Libby Palmer was the winner of the duck race and the $1,000 cash prize. Deb Schaller was the winner of the duck squat and won $500. There were also more than 20 door prize winners at the event, while Ish Farid provided musical entertainment.
Great Western Dining provided dinner for those attending the event.
“The food was wonderful once again,” Massey said.
Massey was grateful for everyone that helped make the event a success.
Door prize winners:
- Cowley County fly over provided by B Four Flying — Mark
- Large basket of specialty food items provided by Dick and Dolly Bonfy — Robert
- Wine Basket provided by CAD’s Liquor— Robin Delp
- One barbeque dinner per month for 12 months from Carl’s BBQ — Tim
and Amy Scott
- Custom painted fire hydrant provided by the City of Ark City — Deuane
and Virginia Wells
- Personalized street sign —Scott and Heather Munson
- $50 toward one month utility bill for Arkansas City resident — Charles
- $50 toward one month utility bill for Arkansas City resident — Jason
and Shannon O’Toole
- Collectible coin set provided by CornerBank — Larry and
- $200 U.S. Government EE Bond — provided by Steve English — Dick
and Dolly Bonfy
- Large maple or oak tree includes planting $250 value provide by Gottlob
Lawn and Landscaping — Ed and Margaret Gilliland
- Gemstone Bracelet and Earrings provided by Bejeweled — Jim
and Sylvia Reed
- $75 in Chamber Bucks provided by Home National Bank — John
and Julie Bossi
- Individually Yours Massage — Richard and Nancy Tredway
- Two KU t-shirts provided by Jan’s Sport Shack — Ed
- Gift from Wildbird Center provided by Steve and Joyce McArtor — Curt
and Cindy Freeland
- Facial by Arthetta Kimmell at Skin Glow Spa provided by Lane and Shannon
Massey — S and Y Industries
- $100 gift basket from Brown’s provided by Rogers Family Dentistry — Amy
- $50 gift certificate to the Ridge provided by Dr. Pat and Sandy McAtee
(Loser’s race) — Brian and Cindy Sanderholm
- Sony DVD player provided by Sears of Winfield — Chris
and John Clemente
- “Bridges of Cowley County” framed print provided by Union State
Bank — Jeff and Janet Kennedy
- Sport utility vehicle floor mats provided by Winfield Consumer Products — Phil
and Joyce Groves
- One night stay at Great Wolf Lodge for four provided by Lane and Shannon
Massey — Mike and Jennifer Munson
- One night stay at Q Hotel for two — Rock and Ann Headrick
- Duck race $75 heat winners — Jean Hill, Bill and Judy Docking, Libby Palmer, Scott and Heather Munson, Bill and Trish Wagner, TCK Trust and Financial Advisors, and the Ark City Traveler/ Winfield Publishing.