14th annual Great Cowley Duck Dash raises money for student scholarships
Enjoying beautiful surroundings, great food and entertainment, more than 300 people attended the 14th annual Great Cowley Duck Dash held May 14 at Winfield’s Spring Hill Farms.
The Great Cowley Duck Dash, which featured a duck race and duck squat, has now raised more than $200,000 for student scholarships over the past 14 years.
With last year’s event having to be moved to the Cowley College campus due to the excessive amount of rain that fell at the farm during the week, the weather this time around allowed for the Duck Dash to return to Spring Hill Farms.
“It was so nice to be back at Spring Hill Farms, I heard many others say as well that they were happy to be there,” Shannon Massey, executive director of Alumni and Development said.
Massey is grateful to Bob and Gwen Tyler for allowing the college to use their beautiful property to host the event. She also praised the work done by Cowley’s buildings and grounds crews who helped with the event.
Cowley College president Dr. Patrick J. McAtee entertained the crowd as the emcee for the races.
Julie Rorabaugh was the winner of the duck race and the $1,000 cash prize. Laura Hocker was the winner of the duck squat and $500. There were also more than 20 door prize winners at the event, while Cowley College instrumental music instructor Josh Fleig and his band provided musical entertainment and Great Western Dining provided dinner.
“It was another great meal provided by Great Western Dining so a big thank you to them,” Massey said. “We also have great board members that work hard running errands for the event and giving up extra time that day for preparation. And last but certainly not least, thanks to all the sponsors and to everyone who purchased tickets, they are the reason this event is successful.”
Door prize winners:
- Cowley County fly over provided by B Four Flying — Jim and Marvis Gaddie
- Basket of specialty food items provided by Bonfy Gardens — Mike Groves
- Wine Basket provided by CAD’s Liquor— Gary McCutcheon
- One barbeque dinner per month for 12 months from Carl’s BBQ — Melissa Hollister
- Collectible coin set provided by CornerBank — Buterbaugh & Handlin
- $200 U.S. Government Bond provided by Steve English — Robin Delp
- Large maple or oak tree includes planting provided by Gottlob Lawn and Landscape — Randy & Deb Nittler
- $100 gift certificate to WB Meats provided by Lane and Shannon Massey — Shirley Jester
- Gemstone Bracelet and Earrings provided by Bejeweled — Alisa Frederick
- $75 in Chamber Bucks provided by RCB Bank — Karl and Dorothy Faidley
- $150 print credit provided by Heather Munson Photography — Bryan McChesney
- Gift from Backyard Nature Center provided by Steve and Joyce McArtor — LaDonna Lanning
* One hour massage by Tina Stewart at A Break from Reality provided by Rogers Family Dentistry — Allison Viola
- One hour facial by Kelly Marchitell at A Break from Reality provided by Rogers Family Dentistry — Jenny and Danny Scott
- Half hour massage provided by Tina Stewart at A Break from Reality — Sue Saia
- One hour massage by Tina Stewart at Break from Reality provided by Rogers Family Dentistry — LaDonna Lanning
- Sport utility vehicle floor mats provided by Winfield Consumer Products — Mark and Deb Paton
- One night stay at the Raphael at Kansas City — Brian and Jami McGee
- $20 gift card to K’ and D’ Gourmet — Trisha Stoy
- Craftsman 260 piece Mechanics Set provided by Sears in Winfield — Larry and Wanda Schwintz
- “Dinner and a Movie” package provided by Union State Bank, Slade & Terri Griffiths
- Full Festival Ticket provided by Walnut Valley Association — J.C. and Donna Louderback
- Jade necklace provided by Stacey Pehosh — Heather Allen
- Duck race $75 heat winners — TCK-The Trust Company of Kansas, Legacy Regional Community Foundation, LaDonna Lanning, Conco Construction, Randy and Deb Nittler, Julie Rorabaugh, ADM Milling Company.
- Losers Race $50 Gift Card to Montana Mike’s — Tom and Charlotte Schmidt.