Duck Dash raises more than $21,000
Enjoying beautiful surroundings, great food, and entertainment, 350 people attended the 17th annual Great Cowley Duck Dash held May 17 at Winfield’s Spring Hill Farms.
The Great Cowley Duck Dash, which featured a duck race and duck squat, has raised well over $200,000 for student scholarships over the past 17 years.
This year’s event raised more than $21,000 for student scholarships.
“This was one of the largest years of support we have seen raised through the Duck Dash,” vice president for institutional advancement Ben Schears said. “People believe in the mission of the Endowment Association and it’s always touching to see them step up and support our student scholarship program.”
Steve English, president of Trust Company of Kansas, entertained the crowd as the emcee for the races.
Bob Tyler was the winner of the duck race and the $1,000 cash prize. David Avery was the winner of the duck squat and was awarded $500. There were also 27 door prize winners at the event, while former journalism director Dave Bostwick provided musical entertainment along with Dave Swiercinsky and Tim Newton. Great Western Dining catered the dinner.
There were 736 ducks sold for the duck race.
Door prize winners:
- Cowley County fly over provided by B Four Flying — Jamie McGee
- Basket of specialty food items provided by Dick and Dolly Bonfy — Dale Ramsey
- Collectible coin set provided by CornerBank — Mike Groves
- U.S. Government Series EE Bond provided by The Trust Company of Kansas — Julie Rorabaugh
- Large maple or oak tree provided by Gottlob Lawn and Landscape — Slade Griffiths
- Ping-Pong table provided by Sears in Winfield — Patty Mugler
- $25 Vintage on 9th gift certificate provided by Friend of Endowment Association – Jean Hill
- $25 Junk Generation gift certificate provided by Friend of Endowment Association – Gary and Pat McCutcheon
- Computer tune-up certificate provided by McDonald’s Computer Service – Curt Freeland
- Reliable Steamboy Steam Floor Mop provided by McDonald’s Vacuum & Used Books – Dan Jurkovich
- Personalized street sign provided by The City of Arkansas City – Larry and Joyce Creel
- Custom painted fire hydrant provided by The City of Arkansas City and Rob Carroll’s Sandblasting and Painting – Marvis and Jim Gaddie
- Health & wellness basket provided by Anytime Fitness – Rhoda MacLaughlin
- Two half-hour massages provided by Tina Stewart at A Break from Reality — Karen Zeller, Chris Cannon
- $75 Massage Certificate from Tina Stewart at A Break from Reality provided by Rogers Family Dentistry — Mauricio Herrera
- Gift card to Luciano’s Restaurant provided by Elizabeth Thummel – Alex Gottlob
- Gift card to Millington Place Eatery provided by Steve and Joyce McArtor – Lance Niles
- One hour massage certificate from Deb Fry at Time Out for Wellness provided by Rogers Family Dentistry – Jeff and Gretchen Wacker
- Set of Floor Liners for Any Vehicle provided by Winfield Consumer Products — Brandon and Melissa Guthrie
- Two Cowley College Athletic Season Passes provided by the Cowley Athletic Department – Fred and Carol Bunting
- $25 Red Feather Boutique gift certificate provided by Friend of Endowment Association – LaVaughan Scheurich
- $25 Quality Outdoor Design gift certificate provided by Friend of Endowment Association – Jim and Wilma Mitchell
- “Fun in the Sun” Union State Bank —Graves Drug
- Pringles gift basket provided by Judge Jim and Jan Pringle –Gordon & Associates Architects
- 30 minute massage at Time Out for Wellness provided by Deb Fry – LaDonna Lanning
- Four tickets to Motley Crue Final Tour with special guest Alice Cooper – Roxann Taylor
- Duck race $75 heat winners — Bob Tyler, Jeff and Gretchen Wacker, Ken and Bonnie Gilmore, Liz Shepard, LaDonna Lanning
- Losers Race $100 Gift Card to Montana Mike’s — Kelly Johnson