April 18, 2006
Roderick, Shepherd to retire from Cowley
A pair of long time employees of Cowley College submitted letters of retirement to the Board of Trustees during its regular monthly meeting Monday night.
Wanda Shepherd, social science department secretary, will retire from Cowley on June 30 after spending the last 31 years at the school. Cliff Roderick, drafting instructor, will retire August 1 after 16 years at the school.
Shepherd has held a variety of jobs during her 31 years at Cowley. Prior to serving as the social science department secretary for the past 12 years, she worked in the business office for 17 years and in shipping and receiving for two years. Shepherd also coached the Cowley cheerleaders for 11 years.
“I have enjoyed working for the faculty and staff, and especially the interaction and friendships with the students,” Shepherd said. “While I look forward to enjoying my retirement, I will miss working for Cowley.”
In 1979, she and some friends approached then Cowley men’s basketball coach Jerry Mullen about starting a foster parent program for the basketball players. They named it the One-On-One Club. The program eventually branched out and included all sports, and developed into what is now the Adopt-A-Player program, sponsored by Bruce Watson and Frank Arnold.
Roderick presently teaches Industrial Graphics I through Industrial Graphics VIII, Technical Drafting I through Technical Drafting III, Cad, AdvCad and 3D modeling. He spent his first five years at Cowley as a part-time instructor, and the last 11 as a full-time drafting instructor.
“It has been my pleasure to be employed by Cowley County Community College for the past 16 years,” Roderick said.
In other matters, the Board:
1. Saw Cowley President Dr. Pat McAtee present a gift to Veronica Anderson
of Ardmore, Okla., for being named March Student of the Month; and Alex
Derby of Wellington, for being named April Student of the Month.
2. Viewed a summer enrollment report that indicates as of April 13, full-time equivalency was 692, which is up from 446 on April 13, 2005.
3. Approved the employment of Josh Fleig as instrumental music faculty, effective Aug. 1.
4. Approved a proposal from Four State Maintenance Supply to replace the shower surrounds in Kirke Dale Dormitory with water-proof proxy. The total cost of the project will be $30,463.75.
5. Approved the travel and expense request for the Cowley athletic programs should they qualify for regional/national competition.
6. Held an executive session to discuss non-elected personnel and professional negotiations.
7. Reconvened for a second executive session to discuss non-elected personnel and professional negotiations.