January 18, 2006
Cowley graduate shows board members branding proposal
Steve Cranford, a 1971 graduate of Cowley College, and member of Whisper Brand Strategy Consultants, presented his company’s suggested branding proposal for the college’s Board of Trustee’s during its regular monthly meeting Tuesday night.
Cranford presented the board members with a series of contextual print ads to show how the branding recommendations could work to differentiate the college from the competition.
“As a graduate from here and someone who has a fair amount of ownership in this project, it has been an enormous amount of fun,” Cranford said. “I think the college has an enormously wonderful opportunity to stand out in the market place.”
No action was taken on the proposed branding idea.
“We have got to make sure that the organization has a comfort level and that we all buy in,” Cowley College President Dr. Pat McAtee said. ““We will have a recommendation to the board maybe even before the next board meeting.”
In other matters, the Board:
1. Saw Cowley President Dr. Pat McAtee present a gift to Justina Way of Emporia, for being named December Student of the Month; and Kelly Hedges of Valley Center, for being named January Student of the Month.
2. Viewed a spring enrollment report that indicates as of Jan. 11, full-time equivalency was 2,954, which is up from 2,880 on Jan. 11, 2005.
3. Received an update on the remodeling of the Kerr Technology Building. The remodel is all but complete, and classes are being taught in the facility. Countertops in the ceramics labs have been backordered and should be delivered in three to four weeks. Kilns are scheduled to be installed this week.
4. Approved the Audit Contract submitted by Parman, Tanner, Soule and Jackson for the annual audit of the accounts and records of the college for the year ending June 30, 2006.
5. Approved the employment of Amy White as Advising and Retention Specialist, effective Feb. 1.
6. Held an executive session to discuss property acquisition and professional negotiations.