January 17, 2007
Board approves two new policies
Cowley College’s Board of Trustees approved a pair of policies during its regular monthly meeting Tuesday night. The Board approved the Immunization policy along with the At-Will Employment policy.
The Immunization policy states Cowley College requires all students living in residential housing to receive the meningitis vaccine or sign a waiver indicating their knowledge of the risks of bacterial meningitis and their decision not to be vaccinated. It is strongly recommended that all students become knowledgeable about meningitis and consider vaccination in order to reduce their risk.
In addition to the meningitis, international students must also complete a Tuberculin screening. Cowley Health Services provides Tuberculin screening and Tetanus shots at minimal cost to Cowley College students.
The At-Will Employment policy states Cowley College is an “at-will” employer and as such employment with Cowley is not for a fixed term or definite period and may be terminated at the will of either party, with or without cause, and without prior notice. No supervisor or other representative of the company (except the President of Board of Trustees) has the authority to enter into any agreement for employment for any specified period of time, or to make any agreement contrary to the above.
In other matters, the Board:
1. Saw Cowley President Dr. Pat McAtee present a gift to Alyssa Showman of Centralia, for being named November Student of the Month; and Alex Gottlob of Winfield, for being named January Student of the Month.
2. Held a pair of executive sessions to discuss non-elected personnel, property acquisition, and consult with legal counsel.
3. Ron Godsey, Lee Gregg, Jr., and Mark Paton have filed for re-election for Board of Trustees.
4. Discussed the joint Trustee/Legislative/Administration breakfast with Cowley College and Butler County Community College, which will be held at 9 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 20, in the President’s Dining Room.
5. Discussed the PTK Luncheon Banquet, which will be held from noon to 2 p.m. Feb. 15, in the Sunflower Ballroom of the Capitol Plaza Hotel in Topeka.
6. Viewed a spring enrollment report that indicates as of Jan. 11, full-time equivalency was 2,897, which is slightly down from this time last year.
7. Approved the Audit Contract, submitted by Parman, Tanner, Soule, and Jackson for the annual audit of the accounts and records of Cowley College for the year ending June 30, 2007. The cost of the audit will be included in the 2006-07 college budget.
8. Accepted the resignation of Sean Harris as the Aviation Program lead instructor, effective Jan. 2.
9. The Board gave the college’s administration the authority to engage in a settlement agreement with a faculty member.
10. The Board voted not to approve a sabbatical leave for an employee.