April 24, 2007
Cowley Press staff wins awards, Long named Journalist of the Year
Attending the spring conference of the Kansas Associated Collegiate Press
April 15-16 in Wichita, 15 members of Cowley College’s student
newspaper, the Cowley Press, received awards.
After winning the All Kansas Award as the top two-year newspaper in the state each of the last three years, the Cowley Press finished behind Johnson County this time around.
However, Cowley and Garden City Community College joined Johnson County as the only two-year colleges to receive gold-medal ratings.
The online version of the Cowley Press also received recognition as it was awarded third place among all state colleges and universities, including two-year and four-year schools.
Highlighting the individual awards won by members of the Cowley Press was sophomore Chansi Long being named the Journalist of the Year for two-year newspapers. Long received $250 as part of the award. She also received first place awards in series writing and feature writing to go along with a first place award she and Jackie Hutchinson won in infographics.
Sarah Lavallee was second runner-up for the Journalist of the Year award and received $50. Journalist of the Year entrants submitted work samples, a resume and recommendation letters to be judged.
All together, Cowley came away with eight first place awards, five second place awards, and four third place awards.
“The two-year college division always has the most entries, and we definitely earned our share of awards, especially first-place awards,” Cowley Press advisor Dave Bostwick said. “I’ve been very pleased with this year’s staff. They should feel proud of themselves.”
Here is a list of awards won by Cowley students:
- Chansi Long — First in series writing; First in feature writing.
- Amanda Pratt — First in editorial writing; Second in column writing.
- Brady Brewer — First in headline writing; Third in sports news writing.
- Jessica Demel — First in sports photography.
- Kris Ripley — First in ad design.
- Chansi Long and Chet Hunt — First in multimedia story.
- Chansi Long and Jackie Hutchinson — First in infographics.
- Victoria Ukaoma and Jackie Hutchinson — Second in multimedia story.
- Dwight Bergley, Chet Hunt and Marcia Russell — Second in photo essay.
- Matt Mendoza — Second in editorial writing; Second in feature writing.
- Annastasia Arnett — Second in special section.
- Danielle Craig — Third in front page design.
- Sarah Lavallee — Third in news writing; Third in series writing.
- Marcia Russell — Third in news photography.