January 23, 2008
New dorm remains on schedule
Even with weather delays, the new dorm at Cowley College maintains an estimated completion date of Aug. 1, Tony Crouch, executive vice president of business services at Cowley College told members of the college’s Board of Trustees during its regular monthly meeting Tuesday night.
All of the precast panels have been formed, with all second and third floor panels and approximately half of the first floor panels having been cast. Sub-grade foundations and beams are complete, as is under ground electrical and plumbing for the east wing. Under ground electrical and plumbing is underway for the south wing.
East wing slab on grade was poured last week, south wing slab on grade is scheduled for next week, weather permitting. Conco expects to begin standing up the exterior walls before the end of the month.
In other matters, the Board:
- Saw Cowley President Dr. Pat McAtee present a gift to Kathryn Bevilacqua of Wichita for being named January Student of the Month.
- Viewed a Kansas Board of Regents press release showing Cowley among 22 institutions that received funding to enhance their technical education programs.
- Discussed the Phi Theta Kappa luncheon that will be held Feb. 14 from noon-2 p.m. at the Ramada in downtown Topeka. Cowley students to be honored at the banquet are Elisha Swope and Jackie Hutchinson from Arkansas City and Lisa Burns and Keisha Brooks from Wichita.
- Board approved revisions to the heat and air system to more completely address potential humidity issues similar to those experienced this fall in the Kimmell Dormitory. Cost of the change order is $35,146.
- Viewed a spring enrollment report that indicates as of Jan. 15, full-time equivalency was 2,920, which is slightly down from this time last year.
- Approved the Audit Contract, submitted by Parman, Tanner, Soule, and Jackson for the annual audit of the accounts and records of Cowley College for the year ending June 30, 2008. The cost of the audit will be included in the 2007-08 college budget.
- Accepted the resignation of Cindy Young as accounts receivable clerk, effective Jan. 28; Accepted the resignation of J.R. DiMercurio as dorm manager and assistant baseball coach, effective Jan. 7; Accepted a letter of resignation from Eddy McHargue as technician, computer services, effective Dec. 31.
- Approved the employment of Janet Kennedy, part-time assistant web master to full-time assistant web master, effective Jan. 22; Approved the employment of Glane Wallis as computer technician, effective Jan. 23; Approved the employment of Lance Rudman as instructional specialist/Aviation, effective Jan. 1; Approved the employment of Mica Runnels as Upward Bound secretary, effective Feb. 1; Approved the employment of Shawn Barton as custodian, effective Feb. 2; Approved the employment of Scott Camien as dorm manager/assistant baseball coach, effective Jan. 10; Approved the employment of Roberto Dos Santos as head men’s/women’s soccer coach, effective Jan. 11.
- Announced Mark Potter, Suzanne Kerr, Larry Grose, and Bill Clarahan will be inducted into the Tiger Athletic Hall of Fame on Feb. 16.
- Vice chairman Donna Avery was absent from the meeting.
- Held an executive session to discuss professional negotiations and consult with legal counsel for 15 minutes.