August 14, 2007
Board approves raises during regular monthly meeting
Salary increases for classified staff and administrators
at Cowley College were approved Monday night by the college’s
Board of Trustees at its regular monthly meeting. Classified staff
and administrators will receive a 2 percent increase in salary or hourly
wage. Administrators received raises on July 1, staff on August 1.
The Board also approved the 2007-08 operating budget. Revenues are based on 82,372 credit hours, a state operating grant of $8,340,532 and a county valuation of $212,863,385.
The projected mill levy of 19.997 is an increase of 1.402 mills over the final 2006-07 levy.
In other matters, the Board:
- Discussed the KACCT/COP annual meeting, which will be held Sept. 7-8 at the Wichita Airport Hilton.
- Board members Ron Godsey, LaDonna Lanning, and Donna Avery will attend the ACCT Community College Leadership Congress Sept. 26-29 at the Manchester Grand Hyatt in San Diego, CA.
- Approved the resolution pertaining to the sale of bonds for the construction of the new dormitory. Kevin Cowan from Gilmore and Bell, P.C. presented the proposal to the members of the Board.
- Submitted the Drug-Free Workplace policy for editorial change.
- Viewed a fall enrollment report that indicates as of Aug. 13, full-time equivalency was 3,048, which is slightly down from this time last year.
- Approved the changes for the 2007-08 Health/Dental insurance coverage as provided. The health rates represent a 22 percent increase and the dental rates were a slight decrease. Both health and dental coverage will continue to be provided by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas.
- Accepted the resignation of Ryan Turner as assistant cross country/track coach, effective July 31.
- Approved the employment of Joseph Clasen as NDT instructor, effective Aug. 1; approved the employment of Chris Parrott as coordinator/instructor Automotive Technology at Mulvane Center, effective Aug. 1; approved the employment of Shayla McDonald as admissions representative, effective Aug. 10; approved the employment of Vincent DeGrado III as assistant cross country/track coach, effective Aug. 6; approved the employment of Heather Munson as full-time ESL instructor, effective Aug. 15.
- Approved the board minutes as corrected, showing Board member LaDonna Lanning did not vote against the administrative reports, she only voted against the restructuring of the administrative council.