March 17, 2009
Eck announces resignation at Cowley
After two successful seasons as the head men’s basketball coach
at Cowley College, Steve Eck has announced his resignation. The resignation
was accepted by Cowley College’s Board of Trustees during its regular
monthly meeting Monday night.
Eck went 60-8 in his two years at the school and helped Cowley grab at least a share of the past two Jayhawk Conference Eastern Division titles. Eck also helped the Tigers win a school-record 31 games during the 2007-08 season.
The Tigers will act fast in finding a replacement for Coach Eck and anticipate hiring another outstanding coach.
In other matters, the Board:
- Heard about the meeting with Pratt and Dodge City Community College
on Feb. 17 to discuss the college’s technical program funding
- Heard from Dr. Pat McAtee and Tony Crouch regarding the hearing
with the House Higher Education Committee they attended March 3 in
Topeka. Information was presented concerning the varied methods of
funding for merged community colleges in the state.
- Michelle Schoon, Chair/AQIP Steering Committee, provided Board
of Trustee members with a PowerPoint presentation on the Key Institutional
- Approved no increase in tuition for Cowley County residents, a
$5 increase for in-state residents, $10 for Oklahoma residents, $2
for out-of-state residents, and a return to the 2008 rate of $151 for
international students. Also, no change in fees for all students.
- Approved the following new classes: Cooperative Education 1; Cooperative
Education II; Cooperative Education III; Cooperative Education IV;
Certified Wedding Planner; Introduction to TI-83/84 Graphing Calculator;
Autocad Basics; Autocad Advanced; Introduction to Computer Forensics;
- Viewed a spring enrollment report that indicates as of March 10,
2009, full-time equivalency was 2,354, which is slightly down from
this time last year. Viewed a summer enrollment report that indicates
as of March 10, 2009, full-time equivalency was 169, which is significantly
up from this time last year.
- Approved trip expenses to be paid for seven students, plus Phi
Beta Lambda chapter advisor, Beverly Grunder, to attend the PBL National
Conference June 20-23 in Anaheim, CA.
- Approved the employment of Jenifer Bahner as head volleyball coach,
effective Feb. 18; Approved the employment of Jackie Barnett, Sr. as
custodian, effective March 23; Approved the employment of Adam Parsons
as custodian, effective March 23; Approved the employment of Richard
Seymour as custodian, effective March 23; accepted the resignation
of Steve Eck as head men’s basketball coach, effective March
31; accepted the resignation of Lance Madison as assistant men’s
basketball coach, effective March 31.
- Held an executive session for preliminary discussions relating to property acquisition, personnel matters of non-elected personnel, professional negotiations, and consultation with the governing body’s attorney for 30 minutes.