August 12, 2008
Board approves raises during regular monthly meeting
Salary increases for classified staff and administrators at Cowley College
were approved Monday night by the college’s Board of Trustees
at its regular monthly meeting.
Classified staff and administrators will receive a 3 percent increase in salary or hourly wage effective July 1 and Aug. 1, respectively. In addition, Cowley College president Dr. Patrick J. McAtee proposes a one-time payment of 2% of the 2007-08 respective pay rates for each employee employed prior to April 1, 2008 to be disbursed in September 2008.
The Board also approved the 2008-09 operating budget. Revenues are based on in-state enrollments of 54,000 credit hours, a state operating grant of $8,504,622 and a county valuation of $212,884,223.
The projected mill levy of 19.997 is a slight increase of 0.065 mills over the final 2007-08 levy.
In other matters, the Board:
- Discussed the KACCT/COP annual meeting, which will be held
Sept. 5-6 at the Wichita Airport Hilton.
- Board members Donna Avery, Albert Bacastow, Jr., Lee Gregg, Jr.,
Ron Godsey, LaDonna Lanning, and Mark Paton will attend the ACCT 39th
Annual Leadership Congress Oct. 29-Nov. 1 at the New York Marriott
Marquis Times Square in New York City.
- Tony Crouch, Cowley College Executive Vice President of Business
Services, informed members of the Board that the college has received
its Certificate of Occupancy for the Central Avenue Dorm. Crouch stated
that the 104-bed dormitory is full and the finished product should
be something that serves the college well for many years.
- Summer projects in the Ben Cleveland Wellness Center, W.S. Scott
Auditorium, and Renn Memorial Library have been completed.
- Approved the change order for $3,802 for additional handrails,
sidewalk, and concrete flumes to direct rainwater on the north side
of the Central Avenue Dorm.
- Approved revisions to the Admission and Adjunct Instructor Classroom
Assessment policies. The Admission policy was revised to more accurately
define high school and gifted IEP admission to the college. While,
the policy for adjunct instructor assessment, removed ‘early feedback’ assessment
that was discontinued spring 2008.
- Approved the Technology Usage by Employees policy.
- Approved the changes for the 2008-09 Health/Dental increase coverage.
The health rates represent an increase of 3.05% and the dental rates
an approximate increase of $4 and $10 per month, respectively. Both
health and dental coverage will continue to be provided by Blue Cross
and Blue Shield of Kansas.
- Viewed a fall enrollment report that indicates as of Aug. 6, full-time
equivalency was 2,200, which is down from Aug. 6, 2007.
- Accepted a letter of resignation from Lisa Craft as coordinator
of learning technology, effective Aug. 1.
- Approved the employment of Deryk Ruddle as MICT instructor, effective Jan. 20, 2009.