February 16, 2010
Cowley College in Arkansas City to hold Open House on April 6
Having been several years since Cowley College’s main campus in
Arkansas City has held an Open House, plans were discussed for an Open
House to be held on April 6 during the Board of Trustees regular monthly
meeting held Monday in the McAtee Dining Center.
Sue Saia, Cowley College vice president of student affairs, submitted a preliminary “Open House” invitation for the Board of Trustees to review and provide feedback on prior to a final invitation being sent.
Wanting an opportunity to thank the citizens of Cowley County for their support and to share all of the exciting things that are happening at Cowley College, the school’s Arkansas City campus will hold the Open House Tuesday, April 6 from 5-7 p.m.
No reservations will be needed, simply show up at the Earle N. Wright Community Room located inside the Brown Center at 125 S. Second St. The event is free and open to the public.
There will be live entertainment, academic presentations, student work showcases, campus tours and refreshments. There will also be opportunities to win prizes.
In other matters, the Board:
- Saw Cowley President Dr. Pat McAtee present a gift to Christine
Logan of Dixon, CA for being named February Student of the Month. “We
are very proud of you. I hope all of your dreams come true,” McAtee
- Slade Griffiths, vice president of academic affairs, provided the
Board with an academic update, which showed the Creative Writing and
Mass Communications Associate of Arts degrees were created/modified
and approved by the academic affairs council.
- Viewed a spring enrollment report that indicates as of Feb. 15,
full-time equivalency was 2,680, which is up from 2,314 at this time
- Discussed the spring musical “South Pacific”, which
will be held March 4-6 at 7:30 p.m. in the Robert Brown Theatre. A
dinner and show combo is available on March 5-6 for $20 with dinner
served at 6 p.m. in the Earle N. Wright Community Room. Reservations
for the dinner must be made by March 3. Tickets are available by contacting
the Cowley Box Office at 620-441-5570. Tickets are $8 for adults and
$5 for students. Gold cards will be accepted.
- Accepted a letter of resignation from Anthony Shavies as dorm
manager/assistant men’s basketball coach, effective Feb. 1; accepted
a letter of resignation from Shayla McDonald as admissions representative,
effective Feb. 5; accepted a letter of resignation from Eddie Santiago
as director of campus security and public safety, effective Feb. 26.
- Approved the employment of Luke Houser as custodian, effective
- Held three executive sessions totaling 35 minutes for preliminary
discussions relating to acquisition of real property, professional
negotiations, and consult with legal counsel.
- Approved the acquisition of property at 1601 South A in Arkansas
- Authorized the signature on utility easement with the City of Arkansas
- Board member Lee Gregg, Jr. was absent.