May 17, 2010
13th annual Great Cowley Duck Dash raises money for student scholarships
Helping support the Cowley College Endowment Association, close to 300 people
attended the 13th annual Great Cowley Duck Dash held Saturday at Cowley College’s
McAtee Dining Center.
The event featured a duck race and duck squat. Prior to this year’s event, the Great Cowley Duck Dash had raised almost $180,000 for student scholarships over the past 12 years.
The event, which was planned to be held at Spring Hill Farms in Winfield, had to be moved to the Cowley College campus due to the excessive amount of rain that fell at the farm during the week.
"Knowing how much everyone loves the Duck Dash at Spring Hill Farms, I am always thrilled to see the supporters that still come out when we have to move it to the (McAtee) Dining Center,” said Shannon Massey, director of Alumni and Endowment. “We had a great turnout, good food and lots of fun despite the weather.”
The ducks were raced on Thursday and the video of the races were shown during dinner on Saturday. Cowley College president Dr. Patrick J. McAtee entertained the crowd as the emcee for the races.
Marvin and Anita McCorgary were the winners of the duck race and the $1,000 cash prize. Albert Bacastow, Jr. and Dawn Williams were the winners of the duck squat and $500. There were also more than 20 door prize winners at the event, while Ish Farid provided musical entertainment and Great Western Dining provided dinner.
Massey was grateful for everyone that helped make the event a success.
“Lots of hard work goes into it, but to see everyone together having a good time raising money for our students, makes it all worth it,” Massey said.
Door prize winners:
- Cowley County fly over provided by B Four Flying — Dick and Dolly Bonfy
- Basket of specialty food items provided by Dick and Dolly Bonfy — Mark Richardson
- Wine Basket provided by CAD’s Liquor— Libby Palmer
- One barbeque dinner per month for 12 months from Carl’s BBQ — Steve and Pam Archer
- Custom painted fire hydrant provided by the City of Ark City — Rodger and Melba Maechtlen
- Personalized street sign provided by the City of Ark City — Bill and Arleta Rice
- Personalized street sign provided by the City of Ark City — Bob and Sue Yoachim
- $50 toward one month utility bill for Arkansas City resident — J.C. and Donna Louderback
- $50 toward one month utility bill for Arkansas City resident — Sandy Short
- Collectible coin set provided by CornerBank — Robben and Wilma Ledeker
- Collectible coin set provided by CornerBank — Glen Sheets
- $200 U.S. Government EE Bond provided by Steve English — Jim and Wilma Mitchell
- Large maple or oak tree includes planting $250 value provide by Gottlob Lawn and Landscape — John and Julie Bossi
- $100 gift certificate to WB Meats provided by Lane and Shannon Massey — Bob and Jo Lynn Foster
- Gemstone Bracelet and Earrings
provided by Bejeweled — Charlotte Schmidt
- $75 in Chamber Bucks provided by Home National Bank — Joe Gray
- $150 print credit provided by Heather Munson Photography — Scott and Nicole Rogers
- Shirt and cap provided by Jan’s Sport Shack — Jim Ramirez
- Gift from Wildbird Center provided by Steve and Joyce McArtor — John and Jennifer Sprague
- One hour massage by Arthetta Kimmell at Skin Glow Spa provided by Libby Palmer — Jan Pringle
- One hour facial by Kelly Marchitell provided by Rogers Family Dentistry — Sunni Goentzel
- One hour massage by Tina Stewart at Break From Reality provided by Rogers Family Dentistry — LaDonna Lanning
- Shop Light provided by Sears of Winfield — Dave and Virginia Smith
- ”Bridges of Cowley County” framed print provided by Union State Bank — Erwin and Ferne Knocke
- Sport utility vehicle floor mats provided by Winfield Consumer Products — Dan and Vicki Snowden
- Half hour massage provided by Tina Stewart at a Break From Reality — Scott and Rhoda MacLaughlin
- One night stay at Q Hotel provided by the Q Hotel at Kansas City — Juri and Sue Kolts
- Duck race $75 heat winners — Marvin and Anita McCorgary, Greg and Tami Norwood, Jean and Ellen Snell, Sunni Goentzel, Mary Korte, Bob and JoLynn Foster, and Kim and Cynthia Hocker.