July 28, 2010
Students from 16 different schools receive scholarships to Cowley College
The Student Services Department at Cowley College has awarded scholarships to the following students.
From Arkansas City High School:
- Laken Parker, daughter of Kike and
Christy Parker, is the recipient of a Softball Athletic Manager Scholarship.
At ACHS, she was named a first-team all-state softball player. She
plans to major in early childhood education.
- Diana Dalton, daughter of James and Lillie Sodowsky,
is the recipient of a E.A. Funk Scholarship. At ACHS, she participated
in track and the Pep Club Flag Team. She plans to major in early childhood
- Meagan Jarboe, daughter of Sherry Mort, is the recipient of a Work
Ethic Scholarship. At ACHS, she was involved in softball, basketball,
debate, yearbook, band, colorguard, FCA, SADD, and the student council.
She plans to major in psychology.
- Kyle Swanson, son of Jeff and Darla Swanson, is the recipient of a Work Ethics Scholarship. At ACHS, he participated in football, golf, FFA, FCA, and the National Honor Society. He plans to major in mechanical engineering.
From Winfield High School:
- Taylor Snider, son of Rick and Lori
Snider, is the recipient of a Hall of Honors Scholarship. At WHS, he
participated in band, golf, and Link Crew. He was named to the Principal’s Honor
Roll, was an Honor’s Scholar and finished among the top 10 percent
of his graduating class. He plans to major in engineering.
- Jace McIntire, son of Andy and Marcia McIntire, is the recipient of
a Linda Barnes Scholarship. At WHS, he was involved in baseball, basketball,
soccer, and was a W-Club Officer. He was named to the Honor Roll and
received the Heart of the Viking Award, and Social Science Superstar
Award. He plans to major in business.
- Ashley Manly, daughter of John Manly, and Jennifer and Gary Owen, is the recipient of a Florence Stephens Scholarship. At WHS, she participated in orchestra, was a wrestling manager, and class representative for HOSA. She was named to the Principal’s Honor Roll and was a Gingerbread Festival Community Service Volunteer. She hopes to receive a Doctorate in Clinical Child Psychology.
From Udall High School:
- Markie Gilday, daughter of Randy and Kasey Gilday, is the recipient of a E.A. Funk Scholarship. At Udall, she participated in SADD, cheerleading, volleyball, FBLA, drama, forensics, student council, and the national honor society. She is undecided on a major.
From Dexter High School:
- Elizabeth Joyce, daughter of Steven and
Rachel Joyce, is the recipient of a Pageant Scholarship. At Dexter,
she was involved in cheerleading, track and field, band, marching band,
student council, Drug Free Dexter, and was the senior class president.
She was also named the Homecoming Queen and Miss Dexter. She plans
to major in nursing.
- Zeke Hensley, son of Jason and Lynn Hensley, is the recipient of a Claude and Helen Morrow Scholarship. He plans to major in welding technology.
From Oxford High School:
- Adrianna Stanley, daughter of Napoleon Darrell Stanley and Sabrina Griffin, is the recipient of a Spirit Squad Scholarship. At Oxford, she participated in volleyball, KAYS, and helped her forensics team take first in the league two years in a row.
From Cedar Vale High School:
- Alice Fowler, daughter of Bob and Elizabeth Fowler, is the recipient of a Cowley Trio Scholarship. At Cedar Vale, she was involved in choir, FCCLA, Upward Bound, and Big Brothers/Big Sisters. She was a member of the Principal’s and Superintendent’s Honor Rolls. She plans to major in business administration.
From Douglass High School:
- Michael Fox, son of Leonard and Becky Fox, is the recipient of a Dale and Isabel Smith Scholarship. At Douglass, he participated in football, wrestling, track, power lifting, and FCA. He received an award for being the strongest pound for pound at the 3A/4A state power lifting competition. He plans to major in physics.
From South Haven High School:
- Cassandra Dvorak, daughter of Tad and Tammy Dvorak, is the recipient of a Boyer Scholarship. At South Haven, she participated in JETS, FFA, basketball, volleyball, track, Pep Club, and the National Honor Society. She was an all-league basketball and volleyball selection, and was named Class Salutatorian and to the Superintendent’s Honor Roll. She plans to major in biology.
From Belle Plaine High School:
- Margaret Detrick, daughter of Rob
aand Marti Detrick, is the recipient of a Boyer Scholarship. At Belle
Plaine, she was involved in volleyball, softball, band, Singers, FCA,
and the National Honor Society. She was a Kansas Honors Scholar, a
Board of Regents Scholar, and Class Salutatorian. She plans on majoring
in elementary education.
- Lacie Gaskill, daughter of Bill and Salena Rotz, is the recipient of a Creative Writing Scholarship. At Belle Plaine, she participated in art, digital photography, computer graphic arts, guitar, The Paper Dragon, forensics, Foreign Language Club, FCCLA, SADD, track, and cross country. She received a third place medal in mixed media during Cowley College’s Fine Arts Day. She plans to major in criminal justice.
From Rose Hill High School:
- Abby Showalter, daughter of Richard and Tinea Showalter, is the recipient of a Hall of Scholars Scholarship. At Rose Hill, she participated in basketball, softball, and the KAY Club. She was a member of the Principal’s Honor Roll and plans to major in art education.
From Wichita South High School:
- Kyle Waits, son of Daniel and Amy
Waits, is the recipient of a ACT Scholarship. At Wichita South, he
participated in soccer and swimming, and was a member of the honor
roll. He plans to major in physical therapy.
- Melissa Gail Moore, daughter of Shane and Kelly Cook, is the recipient of a Dean’s Scholarship. At Wichita south, she was involved in yearbook and was a member of the honor roll. She plans to major in nursing.
From Wichita West High School:
- Ashley Shahan, daughter of Gerald and Tracy Shahan, is the recipient of a Spirit Squad Scholarship. At Wichita West, she participated in cheerleading, FCCLA, French Club, SADD, Pioneer Peer Leaders, Sisterhood Group, Principals Advisor Council, and was the baseball team manager. She received several academic awards and was a member of the honor roll. She plans to major in pre-medicine.
From Wichita Northwest High School:
- Breanna Fisher, daughter of Don and Sabrina Bonilla, is the recipient of a Herrin Family Scholarship. At Wichita Northwest, she participated in Link Crew, Student Government, Spirit Club, and Rachel’s Challenge. She received the Presidential Spirit of America award and plans to major in education.
From Campus High School:
- Cody Akins, son of Rebecca Knowles, is the recipient of a Graphic Design Scholarship. At Campus, he was involved in wrestling, football, and was a member of the 4x400-meter relay track team that captured the league title. He plans to major in graphic design.
From Cushing (OK) High School:
- Myles Dobson, son of Jayson and Carol Dobson, is the recipient of a Ark City Tumbleweeds Scholarship. At Cushing, he was involved in golf, FFA, yearbook, Choraliers, and the youth group at the Church of the Brethren. He plans to major in non-destructive testing.
- Austin Howell, son of Jim and Leah Howell, is the recipient of a Mulvane Ambassador Scholarship. In high school, he was involved in choir, volleyball, Tae-Kwon-Do, and the yearbook committee. He plans to major in biology.