November 17, 2009
Physics lab project nearing completion
Work on the new physics lab at Cowley College is nearing completion
according to an update provided by Tony Crouch, executive vice president
of business services, during Monday night’s Board of Trustees meeting
held in the McAtee Dining Center.
Work on the flooring as well as the countertops are nearing completion. The hallway is complete with the exception of the baseboard. A punchlist is scheduled for Wednesday.
Crouch also told the Board that the roof replacement on the Brown Center is 50 percent complete, while the roof replacement on the Wellness Center is pending.
Ziegler Electric has begun some preliminary work on upgrading the electrical system in Galle-Johnson Hall. Members of the college will meet with Ziegler Electric on Dec. 2 to determine the length of time Galle-Johnson Hall will be without power. The intent is to have the work done over Christmas Break.
In other matters, the Board:
- Saw Cowley President Dr. Pat McAtee present
a gift to Phuong Huynh of Wichita for being named November Student
of the Month.
- Discussed the KACCT/COP annual meeting, which
Cowley College will host Dec. 6-7 on its main campus in Arkansas City.
Trustees are invited to attend the reception/dinner on Sunday evening
prior to the meetings on Dec. 7.
- Approved the recommendation to change the date
of the December Board of Trustees meeting to Dec. 14 instead of Dec.
- Discussed the Community College Legislative
Summit, which will be held Feb. 8-10 at the Marriott Wardman Park Hotel
in Washington, D.C. The Board voted not to send a representative to
- Held a 20-minute executive session for preliminary
discussions relating to acquisition of real property and consult with
- Approved the purchase of property at 1627 South
- Accepted a letter of resignation from Michelle
Knoles as ACES coordinator, effective Oct. 23.
- Viewed a spring enrollment report that indicates
as of Nov. 8, full-time equivalency was 693, which is slightly down
from this time last year.
- Submitted for first reading the “Sensitive
Information and Red Flag Rules” policy.
- Tabled discussion on the 2010-2011 Academic Calendar
until the December meeting.
- Approved the following policies “Student Affairs
Council”, “Student Grievances”, “Student Housing”, “Access
to the Student Center”, and “Drug and Alcohol Abuse”.
- Approved a change order request for a total of $4,683
for work being done on the Physics Lab.
- Viewed a final county valuation and mill levy for
2009-10. The mill levy is at 20.226.
- Mark Paton, Board Chair, was absent.