May 18, 2011
Cowley�s Golden Tigers to hold Summer Enrollment on May 24
Summer enrollment for classes in the Golden Tigers at Cowley College is scheduled from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesday, May 24 in the Webb-Brown Academic Center, Room 203, on the Arkansas City campus.
The Golden Tigers is for women and men age 50 and over. Fees for classes are due at the time of enrollment.
Persons planning to attend enrollment should bring mailing labels to use on their enrollment forms and sign-up sheets. This saves writing your name repeatedly and speeds up the enrollment process. Enrollment by telephone or mail will be accepted after May 24.
The summer 2011 schedule:
- Aqua Fun – Monday, Wednesday, Friday, June 1, 3, 6, 8, 10, 13, 15, 17, 20, 22, 24, 27, 29, 1-2 p.m. Family Aquatics Center, Arkansas City High School. Debbi Davidson, Instructor. Participants will be led by trained personnel through a series of specially designed exercises that can help increase joint flexibility and improve mobility. Cost is $10.
- Exercise – Tuesday and Thursday, June 2, 7, 9, 14, 16, 21, 23, 28, 30, 1:30 – 2:30 p.m., Webb-Brown Academic Center, Room 205. Gina McKown, Instructor. Class participants will work on the joint area and flexibility. Basic stretching, kickboxing, yoga, and using vita bands will also be explored. Cost is $10.
- Nutrition & You – Tuesday and Thursday, June 2, 7, 9, 14, 16, 21, 23, 28, 30, 2:30 – 3:30 p.m., Webb-Brown Academic Center, Room 205. Gina McKown, instructor. This class will cover a variety of health topics from personality and eating habits to what happens in digestion. Questions and Answers about Nutrition will also be discussed. Cost is $10.
- Trash to Treasures –Wednesday, June 8 & 15, 12:30 – 2:00 p.m. Webb-Brown Academic Center – Room 204. We will explore how to reuse, re-purpose & recycle textiles. The class will include information on using fabric scraps, old jeans, t-shirts, and flannel shirts. Techniques for making a t-shirt quilt from collecting shirts to finished project will be presented during the class. Class members are encouraged to bring items to share. Cost - $10.00
- Kindle Klass – Tuesday, June 7, 10:30 a.m.-noon. McAtee Dining Center. Tiffany Sowa, Instructor. Would you like to know more about the Kindle, Nook or eReader? Come to the Kindle Klass and try out one of these devices yourself.
- Cards & More – Tuesday, June 7, 14, 21, 28, 1:30-3:30 p.m., Webb-Brown Academic Center, Room 203. Margaret Neal, Instructor. This class will feature cards and gifts for summer occasions that are fun and easy to make. Please bring scissors and your favorite adhesive. Cost is $10.
- Beginning Mah-Jongg – Monday and Wednesday, June 6, 8, 13, 15, 20, 22, 27, 29, 2:30-4:30 p.m. Webb-Brown Academic Center, Room 204. Janice Stover and Margaret Neal, Instructors. This is a game popular in the 1920’s and is becoming very popular again. It is played with tiles and a game card and is similar to today’s rummy. We will use the 2011 game card. Instructions will be covered in the first few sessions and then class participants will continue to meet and play the game. Cost is $10.
- Mah Jongg Players – Monday and Wednesday, June, 6, 8, 13, 15, 20, 22, 27, 29, 2:30-4:30 p.m. Webb-Brown Academic Center, Room 204. Janice Stover and Margaret Neal, Instructors. This class is for experienced Mah Jongg players. Individuals will learn new game strategies and continue to improve their game. Cost is $10.
- Cricut, Gypsy, Cuttlebug & More – Thursday, June 9, 1:30 – 3:30 p.m., Webb-Brown Academic Center, Room 204. Margaret Neal and Heather Allen, Instructors. If you have heard your friends talking about a cricut or cuttlebug, you may be surprised to learn they are not bugs. The tools and equipment available today are unbelievable. You will have the opportunity to learn about electronic die-cutting machines, embossing tools, creating designs and more to enhance your cardmaking, scrapbooking and even your home decor.
- Scrapbooking – Thursday, June 16, 23, 30, 1:30-4 p.m. Webb-Brown Academic Center, Room 203. Margaret Neal, Instructor. Class participants will work on individual projects. Tips and ideas for scrapbook layouts will be shared with the class. Basic scrapbooking tools as well as die cutting machines will be available to use during the class. Cost is $10.
- Beginning Basic Computers – Monday and Wednesday, June 20, 22, 27, 29, 1:30-3:30 p.m., Webb-Brown Academic Center, Room 102. Marvis Gaddie, Instructor. Class participants will learn the basics for using the computer - logging on & off, finding files & programs. How to create letters and simple documents will also be covered. Cost is $10.