April 18, 2012
Meyer named Student of the Year
On a night he was recognized as Cowley College’s top student in the Natural Science Department and named one of the school’s Outstanding Student Ambassadors, it was only fitting that Clinton Meyer would cap the evening by being named Cowley College’s Student of the Year during the annual Honors and Awards ceremony held Tuesday in the Earle N. Wright Community Room.
Meyer, along with the school’s other Student of the Month selections, were up for the prestigious honor of Student of the Year.
At Cowley, Meyer is involved in the Cowley Activity Awareness Team, FCA, Movie Club, Weightlifting Club, and Intramurals. He is also a Cowley Tutor and a Student Ambassador.
Meyer, who came to the school’s main campus in Arkansas City from Bishop Carroll High School in Wichita, has treasured his two years at Cowley.
“I am truly proud to represent the school that has given so much to me,” Meyer said. “Nothing can replace the memories, the people, and the experiences I have had at Cowley. There is no place like it.”
During this school year, Meyer has taught physical education and PSR to Sunday school children (fourth graders) at Sacred Heart Catholic School. He also helped work with wrestlers at Bishop Carroll High School and is the captain of his recreational paintball team in Wichita.
During the Honors and Awards ceremony a representative from each department at Cowley College honored students that have excelled during the 2011-12 academic year.
Meyer, who is a member of the Dean’s Honor Roll and has a 3.49 grade point average at Cowley, plans to transfer to Kansas State University. While at Kansas State he plans on earning his Masters in Chemistry. He then plans on attending the University of Kansas Medical School and would like to one day find a career working in a lab creating new medicines and compounds to better the quality of mankind.
- Academic Excellence Challenge — Patrick Curl, Brian Lowe, Morgan Wilson
- Student Ambassadors — Katie Arnett, Wil Austin, Tiffany Clock, Shelby Cornejo, Devin Dice, Charley Garrison, Kendall Hale, Jordan hill, Kaylee Jackson, Brad Luthe, Ashley Manly, Jordan McDowell, Clinton Meyer, Sam Nolting, Haley Rouleau, Angela Shockey, Rosi Simmons, Molly Warren, Amanda Westerman
- Outstanding Student Ambassadors — Jordan Hill, Clinton Meyer
- Student Ambassador of the Year — Sam Nolting
- Cowley Tutors — Bree Fisher, Micah Fry, Brian Lowe, Jennifer Mendez, Clinton Meyer, Georgina Perez
- Cowley Tutor of the Year — Bree Fisher
- Derek Burroughs Award — Cameron Moore
- Resident Assistants — Jared Bashaw, Breanna Bryant, Shelby Cornejo, Bree Fisher, Lance Gray, Jordan Hill, Casey Lassley, Brian Lowe, Kammie Mercer, Krista Logan, Molley Scanlon, John Ward, Anthony White, Bryce Zirfas
- Cowley Activity Awareness Team — Bree Fisher, Savannah Hardister, Julie Hinson, Brad Luthe, Ashley Manly, Brenda Mapel, Jordan McDowell, Clinton Meyer, Cameron Moore, Kelsey Nolting, Sam Nolting, Rosi Simmons, Amanda Westerman
- Cowley Activity Awareness Team Member of the Year — Jordan McDowell
- Academic Civic Engagement through Service — Allie Scott, Andrew Shipley
- Act One Drama Club — Rebecca Munoz, Jackson Curtright
- Art and Design Club — Abby Showalter
- Chi Alpha — Jordan McDowell, Rosi Simmons, Amanda Westerman
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes — Jordan McDowell, Kammie Mercer, Caroline Strickland
- Film Club — Brad Luthe
- Cowley College Student Senate — Katelyn Edwards, Charley Garrison, Brittany Swopes, Katey Hubler
- Creative Claws — Zane May, Erica Parent
- Instrumental Music — Ryan Cells, Ethan Goodwin
- Math & Science Club — Cassie Dvorak, Eileen Gove, Nancy Misasi, Jennifer Mendez
- Media Club — Wil Austin, Rhiannon Rosas
- Multicultural Scholars Program — Van-Anh Nguyen
- Phi Beta Lambda — Jill Kanning, Jordan McDowell, Haley Rouleau
- Phi Theta Kappa — Kate Darby, Hannah Dillard
- Phi Theta Kappa (Mulvane) — Christopher Romero, Alicia Weber
- Skills USA — Bradley Weir
- Vocal Music — Bryce Sund
- Allied Health Department — Jason Bowker
- Business, Computer and Information Technology Department — Patrick Curl
- Career and Technical Education Department — Leon Henderson
- Humanities Department — Wil Austin
- Natural Science Department — Clinton Meyer
- Social Science Department — Danielle Anderson
- Students of the Month — Clinton Meyer, Hannah Dillard, Andrea Sweetwood, Rosi Simmons, Jordan McDowell, Bree Fisher, Patrick Curl, Katelyn Edwards
- Student of the Year — Clinton Meyer
View photo gallery.