May 15, 2012
15th annual Great Cowley Duck Dash continues to entertain
Enjoying beautiful surroundings, great food and entertainment, more than 350 people attended the 15th annual Great Cowley Duck Dash held Saturday at Winfield’s Spring Hill Farms.
The Great Cowley Duck Dash, which featured a duck race and duck squat, has raised well over $200,000 for student scholarships over the past 15 years. New to this year’s event was the auction, which raised more than $1,000.
With the addition of a new auction, increased ticket sales and sponsor support, the event raised more than $21,000 for student scholarships.
“The Duck Dash has always been a wonderful event to raise scholarship money for our students, and I could not have been happier with how it went this year,” Ben Schears, Cowley College vice president for institutional advancement said. “We appreciate all of the support that folks provided by coming out and enjoying the evening with us.”
Cowley College president Dr. Patrick J. McAtee entertained the crowd as the emcee for the races.
Jana Wooderson was the winner of the duck race and the $1,000 cash prize. Dennis Strange was the winner of the duck squat and $500. There were also more than 20 door prize winners at the event, while Robert Thornton Kent provided musical entertainment and Great Western Dining catered the dinner.
Shannon Massey, Cowley College executive director of alumni and development, praised the work done by Cowley’s buildings and grounds crews who helped with the event. She also commented on the wonderful meal provided by Great Western Dining.
More than 800 ducks were sold for the duck race.
“Without our generous supporters the Duck Dash wouldn’t be possible,” Massey said.
Door prize winners:
- Cowley County fly over provided by B Four Flying — Curt Freeland
- Large basket of specialty food items provided by Dick and Dolly Bonfy — Alex Gottlob
- Wine basket provided by CAD’s Liquor— Sue Saia
- One barbeque dinner per month for 12 months from Carl’s BBQ — Larry Anstine
- Collectible coin set provided by CornerBank — Don and Peggy Bennett
- $200 U.S. Government Bond provided by Steve English — Jim Sybrant
- Large maple or oak tree includes planting provided by Gottlob Lawn and Landscape — Bill and Trish Wagner
- $100 gift certificate to WB Meats provided by Lane and Shannon Massey — J.C. and Donna Louderback
- $100 in Chamber Bucks provided by RCB Bank — Wilma Ledeker
- IWORK 79 piece tool kit provided by Sears in Winfield — Lester Priest
- Two separate sets of $35 Mitchell Theatres gift cards — David and Virginia Smith and Jeff and Gretchen Wacker
- $50 gift certificate to Kathryn’s in Winfield provided by Steve and Joyce McArtor — Brian and Amy White
- One hour massage by Tina Stewart at A Break from Reality provided by Rogers Family Dentistry — Bonnie Niles
- Half hour massage by Tina Stewart at A Break From Reality provided by Tina Stewart — Deb Nittler
- One hour massage by Catherine Valencia at A Break From Reality provided by Rogers Family Dentistry — Scott and Heather Munson
- Sport utility vehicle floor mats provided by Winfield Consumer Products — Scott and Nicole Rogers
- One night stay at the Raphael at Kansas City — Chris Rogers
- $100 gift card to K’ and D’ Gourmet provided by Ben and Rachel Schears — Bob and Sue Yoachim
- BBQ gift basket provided by Union State Bank — LG Pike
- Jewelry set provided by Stacy Pehosh — Julie Bossi
- Custom painted fire hydrant provided by The City of Arkansas City and Rob Carroll Sandblasting and Painting — Charles McKown
- Two personalized street signs provided by The City of Arkansas City — Mike and Judi Groves and Elite Advertising
- Duck race $75 heat winners — Joe Gray, J.C. and Donna Louderback, Hometown True Value-Winfield, Jim Sybrant, Bob Tyler, David and Mandi Hernandez, and Jana Wooderson.
- Losers Race $50 Gift Card to Montana Mike’s — Dovie Browning
View photo gallery.