May 29, 2012
Community members turn out for Golden Tigers’ summer enrollment
summer classes for the Golden Tigers program at Cowley College set to
begin in June, 56 people signed up for classes during the first day of
summer enrollment held Tuesday in the college’s Webb-Brown
The Golden Tigers is for women and men age 50 and over. For those individuals unable to attend on Tuesday, enrollment will be accepted by telephone or mail.
The Cowley Relay for Life will be held June 15-16 in Arkansas City and Winfield. The Golden Tigers are helping to raise money for the Cowley College Relay for Life team.
Those pictured are, seated from left, May Belle Smith, Kay Kennedy, Pat Collins, and Peg Williams.
The summer 2012 schedule:
- Aqua Fun – Monday, Wednesday, Friday, June 1, 4, 6, 8, 11, 13, 15, 18, 20, 22, 25, 27, 29, 2-3 p.m. Family Aquatics Center, Arkansas City High School. Debbi Davidson, Instructor. Participants will be led by trained personnel through specially designed exercises that can help increase joint flexibility and improve mobility. Cost is $10.
- Exercise – Tuesday and Thursday, June 5, 7, 12, 14, 19, 21, 26, 28, 1:30 – 2:30 p.m., Webb-Brown Academic Center, Room 204. Gina McKown, Instructor. Class participants will work on the joint area and flexibility. Basic stretching, kickboxing, yoga, and using vita bands will also be explored. Cost is $10.
- Nutrition & You – Tuesday and Thursday, June 5, 7, 12, 14, 19, 21, 26, 28, 30, 2:30 – 3:30 p.m., Webb-Brown Academic Center, Room 204. Gina McKown, instructor. This class will cover a variety of health topics from personality and eating habits to what happens in digestion. Information on fats, nutrients and diseases will also be discussed. Cost is $10.
- Creating Family Recipe Books – Monday, June 4, 11, 18, 1:30 – 3:30 p.m. Webb-Brown Academic Center – Room 203. Margaret Neal, instructor. Ideas and tips on creating a special recipe book for friends and family members will be covered in this class. Cost is $10.
- Paper Crafts & More – Wednesday, June 6, 13, 20, 27, 1:30 – 4 p.m. Webb-Brown Academic Center – Room 203. Margaret Neal, instructor. Class participants will make greeting cards and a patriotic banner during the class. Tips on creating paper projects using punches, embossing folders and die cutting machines will also be covered. Cost is $10.
- T-Shirt Scarves – Tuesday, June 12, 1:30-3 p.m., Webb-Brown Academic Center, Room to be determined. Kathy Witte and Rhoda MacLaughlin, instructors. Come learn how to make trendy scarves and “neck wear” from your old t-shirts. Cost is $10.
- Basic Computer Applications – Monday and Wednesday, June 4, 6, 11, 13, 18, 20, 1:30-3:30 p.m. Webb-Brown Academic Center, Room 105. Marvis Gaddie, instructor. Class participants will learn the basics for logging on to the computer, finding files and programs, safely closing documents and programs without losing information. Microsoft Office 2010 Word applications will be used to create letters and other documents. Cost is $10.