Six DECA students qualify for nationals
March 5, 2019
On February 18, eight Cowley College DECA students competed in the State DECA Conference held in Lawrence, Kansas. Of the eight, six students qualified for nationals, to be held in Orlando, FL, April 12-17.
Qualifications for attendance to nationals includes weekly attendance at meetings, fundraising participation, current academic standing, performance at state, as well as minimum scores at the state competition.
DECA prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs in marketing, finance and accounting, and hospitality management. Throughout the year, students have the opportunity to attend leadership conferences in New York, Anaheim, Orlando, and Washington D.C, as well as local state level conferences.
At these conferences, students compete in their fields of studies through case studies and prepared presentations, along with listening to diversified speakers and presentations in related fields of study. DECA Inc. is a 501 (c)(3) not for-profit student organization with more than 215,000 members in all 50 United States, the District of Columbia, Canada, China, Germany, Guam, Mexico, Puerto Rico and Spain.
Following are the Cowley DECA students’ results at the competition:
- Bailey Benton - Managerial Accounting – 2nd Place
- Spencer Rahn - Marketing Management – 2nd Place
- Paige Dull - Travel and Tourism – 2nd Place
- Tara Lukert - Hotel and Lodging – 2nd Place
- Cole Godberson - Entrepreneurship Operations – 2nd Place
Human Resource Management – 3rd Place
- Levi Macy/Spencer Rahn - 3rd Place – Business Ethics
- Bailey Benton/Levi Macy - 2nd Place – Financial Statement Analysis