First group of Cowley employees graduate from CLAW training

May 6, 2020

The inaugural group of Cowley College employees taking part in the CLAW (Cowley Leaders at Work) program were honored Tuesday in the Cowley Education Center located at the main campus in Arkansas City.

The seven graduates of the inaugural Cowley Leaders at Work program are: Mindy Blatchford, Lisa Grose, Deanna Harp, Holly Harper, Jamie McGee, Wendy Neal, and Darci Sampson.

The CLAW program was designed as part of a leadership development initiative to expose attendees to the key components in working together with others to explore solutions to a common problem. A seminar/workshop format was used to provide attendees with the skills needed to be effective leaders at work.

Session one, Focusing on Strengths was conducted by executive director of enrollment management Kristi Shaw.

“This has been an eye-opener as to where we can work more efficiently,” Shaw said. “We can all play off of each other’s strengths and I can’t wait to keep growing in our communications.”

Session two, Building Workplace Teams was conducted by Cowley College president Dr. Dennis C. Rittle.
“As each of us becomes more self-aware it helps us all collectively work together,” Dr. Rittle said. “It is our differences that make us strong. I look forward to this being just the beginning and you will always be the first group.”

Session three, Improving What we Do, was conducted by vice president of academic affairs Dr. Michelle Schoon.

“I hope this gives each of you the tools to move forward and tackle the issues in front of you,” Dr. Schoon said.

And, session four, Measuring Success, was conducted by executive director of institutional effectiveness Deborah Phelps.

“I am really proud of what each of you in the cohort have accomplished. You have all done a great job,” Phelps said.

Upon completion of the course, participants discovered character strengths and can use this knowledge in team building; develop or enhance constructive leadership skills within the work place; demonstrate the use of quality improvement principles and tools to analyze and propose solutions to problems in the work place; identify key measures for process improvement and utilize data within work areas; and identity a work-related problem and explore solutions using the information gained.

A new cohort will start the program in June, with the goal of training one group each semester.