Speer earns shoot-off

November 5, 2019

The Cowley Trap Club in Grand Island, NE

Returning from Grand Island, NE the Cowley Trap Club successfully experienced its first taste of competition as they competed in the ACUI Upper Midwest Conference Championships this past weekend.

“Overall, the weekend was a great learning experience for the team and I,” Cowley Trap Club sponsor Landon West said. “With the Trap Club being new and the first time competing in the ACUI, everyone was learning on the fly.”

Saturday afternoon, Jacinda Call, Jeanie Gage, Seth Gibbs and Griffin Rogers were first to shoot for the Tigers. The temperatures were decent most of the day, but just before shooting they began to drop and the wind started to pick up.

“It was nothing that we haven't experienced this fall, but I think we were just a little behind the bird and missed a few opportunities,” West said. “Missing a lot of the practices to work, Jacinda impressed me and was still able to shoot well with minimal shooting this fall.”

Sunday morning weather was anticipated to be perfect as the temperatures were expected to hit mid 40’s with sun. However, the 9 a.m. start brought overcast skies and cool temperatures for Seth Wichert and Duke Kelln. Both shooters started a bit slow.

“I think they were fighting a little bit of excitement as they were competing in their first competition; none-the-less, as they continued through their rounds they began to settle in and started hitting; finishing with decent scores,” West said.

Emma SpeerEmma Speer, a freshman from Cedar Vale, KS, was the last shooter for Cowley on Sunday. Speer was the squad leader with a group from Iowa Lakes Community College. Round one she hit 21, second round 24, then came a perfect third round of 25 and she finished the last round with 22 giving her a total score of 92 and placing her in a tie for third, which eventually led to a shoot-off in College Women's American Trap.

Speer shot a respectable 21 of 25 in the shoot-off against two Concordia University athletes coming up just short and landing her a tie for fourth place at the Upper Midwest Conference Championships.

“I am proud of the effort everyone put forth, we didn't shoot the scores we have been experiencing at practice but we were there and we had an opportunity; and for that, we were all thankful,” West said.

The public is invited to come out and meet the team and surrounding high school programs during the Cowley Trapshooting Invitational on Saturday, November 9 at DuckCreek of Winfield, KS. Shooting begins at 10 a.m. The competition will include the Cowley Trap Club, as well as local district programs from Cedar Vale/Dexter High School, Douglass High School, Wellington High School and Winfield High School.

Donations will be accepted for admission that will go to support each schools shooting programs. Food and drink purchase will be available on-site.

Cowley Results:

WOMEN (58 competitors)
Emma Speer 21+24+25+22; 92 +21, Tie for fourth.
Jacinda Call 23+19+17+20; 79, tie for 15th.
Jeanie Gage 13+12+16+15; 56, 28th.

MEN (153 competitors)
Duke Kelln 13+18+17+14; 62, tie for 36th.
Seth Gibbs 14+16+11+9; 50, tie for 46th.
Seth Wichert 8+9+14+18; 49, tie for 47th.
Griffin Rogers 9+12+14+10; 45, tie for 50th.