Keely Solida named March Student of the Month

March 11, 2021

Keely SolidaMaking the most of her time at Cowley College, sophomore Keely Solida was recently named the school’s March Student of the Month.

The pre-athletic training major is the daughter of Shawna Fleming and Conley Solida. She has a brother, Shawn 24, and a sister, Adrianne 21.

Solida came to Cowley from Searcy, Arkansas. At Searcy High School she played four seasons of volleyball where she helped lead her team to two state tournament appearances and recorded some of the top seasons in program history. In her high school career, she was twice awarded all-conference honors and was named to the All-State Tournament team. Solida also participated in club volleyball for three years for the Fearsome Volleyball Club, was a member of the Spanish Honorary Club, Beta Club, Key Club, National Honor Society, and Project Unify.

At Cowley she is a middle hitter for the Lady Tiger volleyball team.

“I chose to come to Cowley because I liked the community feel and the support you seemed to get from everyone here,” Solida said. “The professors and faculty at Cowley are very helpful and want you to do your best.”

She has helped the Lady Tiger volleyball team win 40 matches during her one and a half seasons at the school.

“Those of us on the volleyball team are like one big family,” Solida said. “Coach (Steven) Gream has made me a better player, teammate, and person.”

Solida is also a member of Phi Theta Kappa, a resident assistant and serves as a student assistant athletic trainer. She is a member of the Dean’s Honor Roll and has a grade point average of 3.83. She was also a candidate for Homecoming Queen.

“I have made friends here that I will remember forever,” Solida said. “Sometimes I can feel overwhelmed with everything going on, so I am honored that the faculty at Cowley see me as a student worth recognizing.”

Lynlea Bartlett, Cowley College director of student housing, said Keely’s personal growth and dedication to her education is tremendous. 

“She motivates her teammates and others around her,” Bartlett said. “She is a hard worker and communicates well with those around her. She is always smiling and has a positive attitude. She has made a lot out of her time here at Cowley.”

Away from Cowley Solida has volunteered her time to read to students at Jefferson Elementary in Arkansas City and has helped with the annual Pancake Feed.

She plans to continue her volleyball career at a four-year school while working on her undergraduate degree in a science field; then attend Physician Assistant (PA) school. However, before then, she plans to enjoy her final few months at Cowley.

“It’s like Coach Gream says, no matter where you go, you will never find another Cowley,” Solida said.

Rama Peroo

Director of Institutional Communication & Public Relations
Cowley College
125 South 2nd Street
Arkansas City, KS 67005