Current Students

AdmissionsBook an appointment with Cowley College using SetMore

Frequently Asked Questions

Is it easy to meet new people at Cowley?

Yes! Cowley offers a wide variety of clubs and activities for our students. We encourage you to get involved. Not only will it help you meet people, it will enhance your out-of-class learning and make your college experience a more meaningful one!

Where can I find information regarding suggested programs of study for each major, course descriptions, college policies and procedures, financial aid regulations, and degree requirements for graduation?

Review the information in the Academics module of this web site. We will send you printed materials if you fill out the Request for Information form. You can also schedule a meeting with an Advisor by clicking the "Book Appointment" button above.

What is a credit hour?

Colleges are set up on a system that counts toward a certificate or degree. If you take a three credit hour English class during a 16-week semester, you will be in class three hours each week. For example
---1 hour three times a week
---1 1/2 hours two times a week
---3 hours one day a week

What is the difference between an average credit hour load and a full time load?

The average credit hour load is 16 hours per semester in order to finish your Associates Degree within 2 years. A student is classified as full time if they are enrolled in 12 credit hours or more.

What is a semester?

A college semester is 16 weeks during the regular academic year. The fall semester is from mid-August to mid-December and the spring semester is from mid-January to mid-May. Eight week classes are also offered.

How large are classes at Cowley?

General education classes during the day on campus average around 30 to 35 students.

Is there an application deadline?

No, but the sooner the better!

Is an application fee required; and, if so, how much?

There is no application fee.

Is the ACT test required for admission to Cowley?

No, but it is strongly recommended. An ACT score may be a factor in eligibility for certain scholarships.

If I have taken courses at another college, will they transfer to Cowley?

Send an official college transcript to our registrar's office, or contact the Registrar for answers to specific questions.

Cowley College
125 South Second
P.O. Box 1147
Arkansas City, KS 67005

How many majors and degrees are offered?

Cowley has 80 majors and programs of study. Degrees offered include the Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, Associate of Applied Science, Associate of General Studies, and the College Certificate.

Are there scholarships available?

Yes, see our scholarship information.

Are students required to live in the dorms?

The only students required to live on campus are student athletes. See Housing for more information.

Can I enroll for classes at any location?

Yes. You may enroll at the Outreach Center closest to you for any class that you want to take regardless of where the class is offered.

Is there a visitation day for prospective students?

Yes. Students may sign up for Shadow Day in the fall or Senior Day in the spring. Shadow Days are scheduled for students to visit the campus individually or in small groups. Senior Day invites students from throughout the area to campus for a one-day extravaganza that highlights the various programs and activities Cowley has to offer. Visitors may also schedule a campus tour at their convenience.

If I have trouble with some of my classes, are tutors available?

Peer tutors are available to help students in a variety of subjects. This service is provided free of charge! The college also offers special courses in reading skills, study skills, writing and math to help you sharpen your skills in problem areas. Click here for information about the tutoring services.

How do Cowley's costs compare to other colleges?

Cowley's tuition is among the lowest in the state compared to other community colleges. See costs.

Are there E-Cashier Payment Options?

Cowley offers automatic payment programs for your convenience. These e-cashier programs allow for arranged monthly payments and have other options available to you. Click here for information about e-cashier options.

What types of financial aid are available?

Grants are awards you don't have to pay back. Work-study gives you the chance to work on campus and earn money to help pay for school. Loans are borrowed money that you must repay with interest. Undergraduates may receive aid from all three of these aid programs. Contact the financial aid office for more information. In addition, you can apply for a scholarship. These are awarded according to your previous academic performance or your skills in such areas as athletics and co-curricular activities.

How is need determined to see if I am eligible for a Pell Grant and/or student loans?

You must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Your need is determined from information on the application.

When should I apply for financial aid?

You can apply as early as October 1st for federal aid for the new academic year that would begin the following August. Check your FAFSA instructions for the appropriate tax year to be used. You must complete a new application for federal financial aid for each school year.

Apply online at Financial Aid files must be complete by August 1st to use aid as down payment for the fall semester, December 1st for the spring semester and May 1st for the summer semester.